Electrical Issue

Topics related to Lights, Radio, Stereo, Headunits, Alternators...

Moderator: volvite

Colorado Silver

Electrical Issue

Postby Colorado Silver » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:48 pm

Hi All:

New to NissanPath. I looked for a few posts on the issue of my 2012 silver 105xxx miles rebooting or losing all power while driving. It does come back and sometimes I have to restart my pathfinder. Most of the time the engine still runs. One time I had to get out while all power was out and all I did was hit or tap the battery and it started.

I have checked the battery cables and even replaced the useable link on the positive side of battery. The battery is about a year old. I am not sure why else to check, can it be a bad battery or a connection somewhere else that is loose? I even shook the battery and moved the positive and negative cables around and it did not fail. Any ideas at all will be a big help.

Thanks in advance

BullDozer

Postby BullDozer » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:53 pm

Can you get the battery tested at a nearby auto store. Most will do it it for free. If that comes back negative :-) meaning not the issue, I would then make sure you have good ground. Follow the negative cable and I believe you should see it connect to the car’s body. My next guess would be the alternator.

Hopefully, someone else can chime in. I would think an multi-meter would be very useful, maybe you can find generic electronic car issues online and follow them?

Colorado Silver

Postby Colorado Silver » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:13 pm

Hi All
So I tested my battery with a DMM and car not on a bit over 12, running a bit over 14. While car was running I pulled off the ground from battery and nothing happened? Is that right or should my Pathfinder of stopped running. If I take to to where someone can hook up a tester or whatever it is called will the error codes if any help?

BullDozer

Postby BullDozer » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:23 pm

I think the volts should slightly higher. Have a local autostore perform a battery test. Autozone does it free for me.

You alternator should be able to keep your car running without the battery, depending on the electrical load you put on the car.

You can also ask autozone to check for error or pending codes. Free service

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:44 pm

A little over 14 volts running is perfect; 13.2-15.5 volts is acceptable. Do NOT disconnect a battery cable from a computer controlled vehicle while it is running because the voltage surge could damage one of the many and expensive control units in the vehicle! That was test they used to do in the "good ol' days" before computers in cars. The fact that you did this may have caused false codes to trigger, so take any codes you get with a grain of salt.

Return to “R51 Electrical”