Power steering fluid

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

jetstream87

Power steering fluid

Postby jetstream87 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:36 pm

I am going to order a Rack and Pinion pretty soon since mine is about to go out (it starts to make noise on sharp turns) in which I am contemplating on what kind of fluid I should add to it. I have used Royal Purple Power steering fluid on my other cars in which I had no problem but I went to their site and check for their advisory fluids and got: MAX ATF AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID. I have heard from other car owners (not Pathfinders) that power steering fluid is the same a transmission oil. Should I get the Transmission fluid or should I order the power steering fluid from Royal Purple?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:42 pm

Nissan Power Steering fluid is basically re-packaged NissanMatic Type "D" ATF....which is essentially Dexron II ATF. So, automatic transmission fluid or red power steering fluid is fine; I use Valvoline Maxlife full-synthetic ATF in mine. What you don't want to use is clear or amber power steering fluids, which are used in many of the US domestic power steering systems.

jetstream87

Postby jetstream87 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:31 pm

smj999smj wrote:Nissan Power Steering fluid is basically re-packaged NissanMatic Type "D" ATF....which is essentially Dexron II ATF. So, automatic transmission fluid or red power steering fluid is fine; I use Valvoline Maxlife full-synthetic ATF in mine. What you don't want to use is clear or amber power steering fluids, which are used in many of the US domestic power steering systems.
Thank for the knowledge, so I will be fine with the Royal Purple MAX ATF? How many bottle will I require after changing the Rack and Pinion?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:47 pm

I haven't used it so I can't say for sure, but being that it is recommended for Nissan Type "D," Dexron/Dexron II & III ATF, I would think that it should be fine.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”