Rats!!

Any topics related to 2005-2012 R51

Moderator: volvite

Kestral

Rats!!

Postby Kestral » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:00 pm

So today I opened my hood to add some washer fluid and I noticed a great deal of small animal food and droppings on and around the battery! It must have just happened since about two days ago I did my usual weekly oil and collant level check and I did not see anything then. Anyway I vacuumed it all out and did not find the rodent.

I checked the air box and it looked fine with no evidence of anything but I was wondering with the stock air box the air comes in from the fender area so is there a screen or anything to prevent a small animal from entering the air box?

SETI20

Postby SETI20 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:34 am

Check your cabin filter too! Be afraid. Be very afraid!

McMac

Postby McMac » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:19 am

I work for a large industrial chemical company and was told through our national network that spraying battery terminal protectant (the stuff sprayed on the terminals when installing a new battery to prevent corrosion) prevents rats from chewing on hoses and wiring. This came from mechanics in cold areas where rats tend to make homes in warm engines. The whole engine isn't sprayed from the top, just the general underside of the engine bay. We are told it acts like a barrier and once they climb up there, they don't like something and leave. We were also told, not much is needed, just a light coat on the bottom. Your mileage may vary.

***THIS IS ALL HEARSAY SO TRY AT YOUR OWN RISK***

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:19 am

There is also rodent deterrent tape you can apply to hoses and wiring to keep them from chewing them, made by Honda.

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-mai ... m-rodents/

underworld1001

Postby underworld1001 » Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

smj999smj wrote:There is also rodent deterrent tape you can apply to hoses and wiring to keep them from chewing them, made by Honda.

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-mai ... m-rodents/
Just browsing through some of the forum sections and ran into this. Wow. The tape even looks like the decorative duck tape you'd find at Wal-Mart in the arts & crafts section.

TooTallMike

Postby TooTallMike » Thu May 17, 2018 2:59 pm

Just dispatched a 1.5lb rat the other day. Opened the hood and scared me half to death. Nothing a BFS couldn't handle though.

Return to “R51 General Chat”