2008. Blows cold air @idle when heat is on

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

Sf49168

2008. Blows cold air @idle when heat is on

Postby Sf49168 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:47 am

How’s it going everyone ?

So I have a 2008 Nissan Pathfinder SE and it blows cold air while idle at initial start up. Even though temp gauge say it’s fine and technically should be blowing hot air it doesn’t most of the time. Once I drive it still takes times to get to the rite temp inside cab , but I feel a difference soon as I drive. The Rear takes even longer.

Radiator ( along with transmission ) was replaced by Nissan under Warrenty ( nothing was wrong with either ) about 1 1/2 years ago

Fluids seem to be fine. Could it just somehow be an air pocket ?

Thanks

unreal2k1

Postby unreal2k1 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:26 am

That sounds like a typical thermostat gone bad and needs to be replaced, I have had this happen to my 05 Pathfinder and if I kept the rev high when in park I would have heat. Get a new thermostat installed and you should be good to go.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:40 am

...........could just be an air pocket, try "burping" it

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:05 am

While I agree that an air pocket or partially stuck open thermostat are strong candidates for the cause of the problem, there are some other possibilities, as well. A faulty heater pump would be one such possibility. I also remember someone having similar problems and found a lot of dust build-up on the temp sensor for inside the cabin. In the dash near the key, one can see the slots for the intake and, if I remember correctly, there is a small fan behind it that pulls air in to the sensor. When inspected, he found it all caked up with dust and solved his issue by vacuuming out the dust and cleaning it up.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:53 am

smj999smj wrote:While I agree that an air pocket or partially stuck open thermostat are strong candidates for the cause of the problem, there are some other possibilities, as well. A faulty heater pump would be one such possibility. I also remember someone having similar problems and found a lot of dust build-up on the temp sensor for inside the cabin. In the dash near the key, one can see the slots for the intake and, if I remember correctly, there is a small fan behind it that pulls air in to the sensor. When inspected, he found it all caked up with dust and solved his issue by vacuuming out the dust and cleaning it up.
good points, not to be overlooked! :)

Sf49168

Postby Sf49168 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:27 pm

I will look to clean out that cabin sensor and will definatley look into thermostat. If easy replacement , why not do it.

Fingers cross nothing major

Thanks a lot everyone

heckler40

Postby heckler40 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:28 am

I had this issue on my 2010 and the sensor was full of dust. Vacuumed it off and now have heat.

AZ_Path

Postby AZ_Path » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:13 am

I had a similar issue that ended up being the fluid level. The radiator was full, but the overflow reservoir was low. I added distilled water to the reservior and the heat worked normally again.

Markz

Heat issue

Postby Markz » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:36 pm

I got my ‘07 pathfinder in September ‘17 with 79,000 miles on it. When it started to get cold outside, I would start it up in the morning for about 20 mins and it was not warming it up. I mentioned this to the dealer since it was under warranty and it was the radiator fluid leaking into the transmission? I think that is what was going on. If my girlfriend didn’t complain about it not heating up, it would have killed my transmission within a month (guessing). After this, I looked up issues with ‘07 pathfinders and it’s the number one complaint people have. I think Nissan should make this issue a recall because the radiator needed to be replaced and flushed twice. The dealer wants me to get another radiator flush and a transmission flush, but I don’t know if I should. I’m nervous that it will cause other major issues. Any thoughts?? Thank you in advance!

eieio
Sponsored Member

Re: Heat issue

Postby eieio » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:14 pm

Markz wrote:I got my ‘07 pathfinder in September ‘17 with 79,000 miles on it. When it started to get cold outside, I would start it up in the morning for about 20 mins and it was not warming it up. I mentioned this to the dealer since it was under warranty and it was the radiator fluid leaking into the transmission? I think that is what was going on. If my girlfriend didn’t complain about it not heating up, it would have killed my transmission within a month (guessing). After this, I looked up issues with ‘07 pathfinders and it’s the number one complaint people have. I think Nissan should make this issue a recall because the radiator needed to be replaced and flushed twice. The dealer wants me to get another radiator flush and a transmission flush, but I don’t know if I should. I’m nervous that it will cause other major issues. Any thoughts?? Thank you in advance!
Welcome to the forum. :)

eieio
Sponsored Member

Re: Heat issue

Postby eieio » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:22 pm

Markz wrote:I got my ‘07 pathfinder in September ‘17 with 79,000 miles on it. When it started to get cold outside, I would start it up in the morning for about 20 mins and it was not warming it up. I mentioned this to the dealer since it was under warranty and it was the radiator fluid leaking into the transmission? I think that is what was going on. If my girlfriend didn’t complain about it not heating up, it would have killed my transmission within a month (guessing). After this, I looked up issues with ‘07 pathfinders and it’s the number one complaint people have. I think Nissan should make this issue a recall because the radiator needed to be replaced and flushed twice. The dealer wants me to get another radiator flush and a transmission flush, but I don’t know if I should. I’m nervous that it will cause other major issues. Any thoughts?? Thank you in advance!
They found coolant in your transmission?
Then they replaced the radiator and flushed the cooling system twice?
They didn't change your transmission fluid?
I'd take a real close look at the condition of the trans fluid, right away.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”