No Fire Even After Ignition Rebuild ECM???

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

barterjoe

No Fire Even After Ignition Rebuild ECM???

Postby barterjoe » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:56 pm

Hello all,
I am in need of help figuring out the ignition system on a 2001 R50.

The car just died one day and won't get fire from the coil to the cap on-->

I have replaced the coil, condenser and RBS-56 ICM and still get nothing.

The engine has a P0340 code for cam sensor but what I have read says this is part of the distributor maybe the ICM??

I sense the next step is to Replace the ECU but this is not my car and I would like to prove this is the step.

Is there a good place to find ECU logic and testing for pinouts or better yet a common issue I have overlooked?

Thank you in advance,

Joe

ps Here is the info on the ICM if anyone needs it: http://www.gauss.ind.br/en/produto_detail.php?id=2591
Pinout: Image

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:35 pm

In the continental US, 2001 Pathfinders had the VQ35DE, so when looking for info, go with the 2000 model year as that was the last year for the VG33E here in the upper-48. All the info you need will be in the Engine Control (EC) chapter of the factory service manual. You can get a free download of that in the "knowledge base" section at NissanHelp.com. For a full FSM, try Nico CLub's site for a free download.

The cam sensor is built into the distributor; I usually replace the whole distributor with a genuine Nissan remanufactured distributor.

Before you drive yourself crazy, are you sure the timing belt didn't break? That could cause the left-bank camshaft not to turn and drive the distributor shaft, causing a no spark condition.

barterjoe

Timing belt causes no spark

Postby barterjoe » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:24 am

smj999smj,
I think you are on to something with the timing belt. I have noticed that every time I open the distributor to test or replace something the rotor is in the same position. This is handy because the rotor screw is always facing me. I thought maybe it was designed to make it easy to service but your hint about the belt would solve all of the issues like the p0340.

On Nicoclib.com they have a 2001 and 2001.5 option just for clarification for others, would you mind checking if the manuals are correct for this model? build date 11/2000

Thank you again for all of your help.

PS I am in Puerto Rico but this car came from the US ;)

Joe
www.rinconmaker.space

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:11 pm

Have somebody turn the ignition key to "start" while you look at the rotor to see if it turns. If it doesn't turn, then your timing belt is broken. If the vehicle was driving down the road when this happened, then there is a possibility of bent valves, as this is an interference motor. If it occurred when you were trying to start the engine or while it was idling, you might have escaped the chance of bending valves. If the valves are bent, of course, one or both of the cylinder heads will have to be removed for a valve job and hopefully there will be no further damage, such as cracked pistons.
As far as the service manuals at Nico Club, both of those you reference are for the 3.5L engine. Use the manual for the 2000 model year, which will have info for the 3.3L engine.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”