TMPS Error

Anything relating to Wheels, Tires, and Brake options and upgrades...

Moderator: volvite

AndrewT

TMPS Error

Postby AndrewT » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:48 pm

Hi all,

Ever since I got my 2006 Pathfinder, the TPMS light would blink for a minute, then turn solid and remain on. I thought I had a dead or dying sensor in one or more of the wheels, but a tire shop said they were all good when I checked.

So I bought a universal TPMS reset tool on Amazon and went through the reset process. I used a paperclip to ground out the reset plug, which I think worked because the TPMS light kept blinking for past the one minute mark. Then I used the tool and went from drivers-side front, passenger-side front, passenger-side rear, driver-side rear. Turned on the car and the TPMS light continued to blink, so I went for a drive and about 10 minutes later the light turned solid.

Any thoughts? All tire pressures are set at 35 and I don't have a spare.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:31 pm

If you are trying to register the TPMS sensors to the controller, you need to put the key "ON" and then tap the TPMS diagnostic wire to ground 6 times in 10 seconds before you fix it to ground in order to put it in register mode. The TPMS warning light will flash and then you use the trigger tool at each wheel in the order you described...OR...drive the vehicle over 25 mph with the tire pressures set as follows:
LF-36 psi, RR-33, RR-30 and LR-27. Drive over 25 mph until the TPMS light goes out.

You can also check for self-diagnostic codes by grounding the TPMS wire: Turn the key "ON," ground the TPMS wire, and the TPMS warning lamp will start flashing codes. There will be a real long flash to signal the start of the codes; they will be two digit codes and there could be multiple codes displayed. Codes run from "15" to "48." The long flash is the "tens" and the short flash immediately after is the "ones." For example, two long flashes followed by three short flashes is "23." If you tell me the code(s), I can tell you what they are for or you can download a FSM and it will be in the "WT" chapter. If there are no codes to display, the light will flash five times and will continue repeating.

I'm wondering if you tried to program the sensors under the 'self-diagnostic' mode rather than the 'register' mode? Usually, it's almost always a weak or dead TPMS sensor battery that is the problem when the TPMS warning light illuminates. It's a lot easier to diagnose with a capable scan tool that can read the live data from the TPMS system.

Return to “R51 Brakes, Tires, and Wheels”