Weak power steering at idle

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

SpencerC

Weak power steering at idle

Postby SpencerC » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:52 am

About 8 months ago my rack and pinion was leaking and was replaced.
About 2 months ago I replaced my power steering pump because it would not turn at idle speeds. It made it really difficult to get in and out of parking spaces and impossible to back a trailer.

The power steering issue is back, I am not certain the pump ever really solved the problem.

What else causes power steering issues, especially at low RPMs?

This is on a 2006 Pathfinder

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:06 pm

You didn't mention if it was a genuine Nissan or aftermarket reman pump. I've had some problems with aftermarket remans either not working out of the box or not lasting very long after the installation. Only way to test the pump is with a power steering pump pressure tester, but it's not a tool that most shops or even dealers carry.

SpencerC

Postby SpencerC » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:22 pm

smj999smj wrote:You didn't mention if it was a genuine Nissan or aftermarket reman pump. I've had some problems with aftermarket remans either not working out of the box or not lasting very long after the installation. Only way to test the pump is with a power steering pump pressure tester, but it's not a tool that most shops or even dealers carry.
I have no idea, my guess is a remanufactured. The rack and pinion was a reman for sure.

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”