Rack and pinion

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

jetstream87

Rack and pinion

Postby jetstream87 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:35 pm

I am starting to notice that my Rack and pinion is going out. I did had it inspected about 3 months ago and it was starting to slightly show some oil leak on the left side. I do have alignment problem in where when I go high speeds I have to twist the steering wheel to one side and slow speeds to another direction. The mechanic confirm that is loose and as well it needs replacement. Can anyone recommend me a good rack and pinion (economic - mid range) for my 1997 Nissan Pathfinder SE, currently see a lot of option in Rockauto. I do want to change my rack and pinion before installing new tires.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:41 pm

Well, it's about $50 more than the others, but if it were me, I'd go with the ACDELCO 36R0788, which carries a limited-lifetime warranty whereas most of the others are just a couple of years. But, if you want it, you better hurry because there is only 1 left!
I would also get a couple of new tie rod ends, MOOG ES3466. Check a good look at your hoses before you order in case you needs any of those, as well. Also, do NOT use the clear or amber power steering fluids that are sold in the parts and department stores; Dexron III/Mercon ATF or red power steering fluid should be used. The clear and amber power steering fluids are usually specified for US domestic and some European applications.

jetstream87

Postby jetstream87 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:06 pm

smj999smj wrote:Well, it's about $50 more than the others, but if it were me, I'd go with the ACDELCO 36R0788, which carries a limited-lifetime warranty whereas most of the others are just a couple of years. But, if you want it, you better hurry because there is only 1 left!
I would also get a couple of new tie rod ends, MOOG ES3466. Check a good look at your hoses before you order in case you needs any of those, as well. Also, do NOT use the clear or amber power steering fluids that are sold in the parts and department stores; Dexron III/Mercon ATF or red power steering fluid should be used. The clear and amber power steering fluids are usually specified for US domestic and some European applications.
Thanks for letting me know! It came to a point now that if I turn the steering wheel into a pothole or a dip I can hear the left tire screech now! kinda am worried. I plan on using the Royal Purple ATF for the power steering. I hope I can find the hoses for it, thank you for the tie rods ends!

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:47 pm

Rockauto has the hoses, as well.

jetstream87

Postby jetstream87 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:05 am

smj999smj wrote:Rockauto has the hoses, as well.
Thank you, I will get those too. I am noticing that my car rocks side to side when I go over a speed bump and the back suspension started to squeak. The shocks are new.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:39 pm

jetstream87 wrote:
Thank you, I will get those too. I am noticing that my car rocks side to side when I go over a speed bump and the back suspension started to squeak. The shocks are new.
A real common problem on these vehicles is the rear suspension links. Often the bushings will split and cause the back end of the vehicle to wander all over the road, especially at high speeds. If that's the case with yours, the parts are listed under "control arm" at Rockauto. I would go with two of Moog # RK660903 and one each of Dorman # 905803 and 905804. It might also be a good idea to get new bolts, as sometimes they will seize to the sleeve inside the bushing and need to be cut out with a Sawzall. You can get the bolts from Nissan. When you tighten the bolts, make sure the suspension is loaded with the weight of the vehicle (as opposed to tightening the bolts with the suspension hanging, say, with the body supported with jack stands or a lift).

jetstream87

Postby jetstream87 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:51 pm

smj999smj wrote:
jetstream87 wrote:
A real common problem on these vehicles is the rear suspension links. Often the bushings will split and cause the back end of the vehicle to wander all over the road, especially at high speeds. If that's the case with yours, the parts are listed under "control arm" at Rockauto. I would go with two of Moog # RK660903 and one each of Dorman # 905803 and 905804. It might also be a good idea to get new bolts, as sometimes they will seize to the sleeve inside the bushing and need to be cut out with a Sawzall. You can get the bolts from Nissan. When you tighten the bolts, make sure the suspension is loaded with the weight of the vehicle (as opposed to tightening the bolts with the suspension hanging, say, with the body supported with jack stands or a lift).
My mechanic told me that the bushings, right now I am hearing a light squeak when I go over a speed bump or going into a driveway and the back lowers. By any chance do you know what bolts I will need? I am doing all that when I change my rack and pinion.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:29 am

You can replace "just the bushings," but they are a real pain in the butt to do. I've always just replaced the whole link as most of them come with a lifetime warranty. If my eyes are working right, it looks like to do all of the links, one would need four of 54368-0W02A, four of 55080-0W00B and if you want new nuts, eight of 08918-6441A. You can double-check for yourself, if you want:

https://www.nissanpartsdeal.com/parts-l ... f4WD;5=XE)

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”