Trans Leak Passenger side.

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

RMDecker

Trans Leak Passenger side.

Postby RMDecker » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:26 am

I have a strange location for a trans leak. It's on the side of the bell housing. I did a full fluid and filter change and the radiator bypass about a month ago. But today is the first sign of a leak. I am out of town so my wife noticed it and took this picture. I suspect the lines are leaking but what is the black thing bolted to the side of the bell housing? You can see the drip at the bottom of the black piece.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/A54UBV3U71t83NmD3

RMDecker

Postby RMDecker » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:37 am

Just Looked on another pathfinder. The black thing is the other part of the bracket for the coolant lines. Just can't figure out why it would leak there.

Is the picture viewable in my post? I cant get it to show up as an image.

twinblown

Postby twinblown » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:05 am

Yes your photo link is viewable. The leak does not appear to be coming from that mount plate. Your lines have Trans oil on them and could be coming from a hose connection further up? could it also be Trans oil you spilled when you filled or during the change ?

RMDecker

Postby RMDecker » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:45 pm

Thank You for the reply. I made it home and had a chance to inspect it. the drip does not appear to be from the lines. I'm starting to worry that its the front main seal of the transmission or something with the torque converter. I've wiped all of the oil off and hope to see some evidence.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:30 am

RMDecker wrote:Thank You for the reply. I made it home and had a chance to inspect it. the drip does not appear to be from the lines. I'm starting to worry that its the front main seal of the transmission or something with the torque converter. I've wiped all of the oil off and hope to see some evidence.
here's a good way to pin down a leak:
thoroughly de-grease & dry the area.
with a can of aerosol foot powder spray (Dr Scholls works great), spray an even coat over the suspected area.
as the oil leaks out, you will see it wet the dried powder, and there's the leak.

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:49 pm

eieio wrote:
RMDecker wrote:Thank You for the reply. I made it home and had a chance to inspect it. the drip does not appear to be from the lines. I'm starting to worry that its the front main seal of the transmission or something with the torque converter. I've wiped all of the oil off and hope to see some evidence.
here's a good way to pin down a leak:
thoroughly de-grease & dry the area.
with a can of aerosol foot powder spray (Dr Scholls works great), spray an even coat over the suspected area.
as the oil leaks out, you will see it wet the dried powder, and there's the leak.
Good thinking! :D

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:25 am

It looks like the cooler lines are wet on the left side of the picture. Could one of the fittings be leaking and the fluid running down the line?

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”