Rough Idle and hesitation

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

HappyKamper

R50 engine hesitation

Postby HappyKamper » Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:55 am

Hey there,
I had the same problem and found debris in my mass air flow sensor. I cleaned it with brake cleaner and it went away for awhile only to return 500 miles or so later. I've read up on it and consulted a Nissan technician who says that the limited engine rpm and power may be due to a bad cam position sensor or module, both of which are in the distributor. I've since replaced the mass air flow sensor as well as the distributor (thank goodness for rockauto.com!) and have not had a re-occurrence of the issue.

HappyKamper

rough idle

Postby HappyKamper » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:01 am

You might also consider replacing your idle air control valve

underworld1001

Postby underworld1001 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:23 pm

I would personally go to Autozone and get a code reader to pull codes if you have CEL. If you do, post the codes here. If not, then it's a matter of careful elimination. You don't want to go buy parts you don't really need.

HappyKamper

Postby HappyKamper » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:51 am

1) if you have a smart phone you can download an app 'torque' that along with a $15 dongle will allow you to plug into the odbII port and read codes as well as other parameters on a real time basis saving a trip to autozone

2) many times the only code given would be a detonation or misfire code which will reveals the symptoms but not the cause of the problem so

3) correcting the problem is often a matter of sequentially replacing parts and doing things, easiest first and more difficult as the simple easy solutions are exhausted.

Pathfindork

Re: R50 engine hesitation

Postby Pathfindork » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:37 am

HappyKamper wrote:Hey there,
I had the same problem and found debris in my mass air flow sensor. I cleaned it with brake cleaner and it went away for awhile only to return 500 miles or so later.
From what I've read you should only use 'Mass Air Flow Cleaner'. Other cleaners can leave residue.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”