The Nissan Path Forum Index The Nissan Path
The World Wide Nissan Pathfinder Owner's Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Use Google to search TheNissanPath forums ->
Mystery engine noise

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Nissan Path Forum Index -> 2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
disallow
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:03 am    Post subject: Mystery engine noise Reply with quote

Hey everyone,

So we are half way through our Florida road trip. Pathy has performed very well. 3200km on the way down, and I spent about $375 on fuel. But we were sporting speeds well above 80mph so I am happy with it.

Now we are in Kissimmee. Noticed the other night that there is a whine at idle when hot. However, if I shut down and restart, the whine is gone. Weird.

So some possibilities :

Alternator, but I just replaced it last summer, and it's not acting up from a charging perspective.
Power steering, but there is no change to the noise if I turn the steering wheel.
Could be belt tensioner pulley, but why would the noise go away on shutdown?
AC compressor?

Also, some drivetrain vibrations I'm noticing. Only apparent on throttle and disappears off throttle, seems to be coming from rear end, but vibrations can be funny that way. I did check front diff before leaving, but the rear diff check/fill port was seized. No evidence of leak or other issues so we left it. Any ideas on this one? Was thinking anything from u joints to worn pinion gear. Or transmission?

'05 Pathfinder SE Premium 4x4 - 315000kms (195000mi) - weekend warrior, Cortex Superchips on 87 Octane Tune, K&N filtercharger, Airlift 1000, Prodigy Brake controller, 7 pin trailer hookup, Prostart Remote Starter, Bilstein 4600 rear shocks, Cooper Discoverer ATw P265/70/16

Last edited by disallow on Sat May 05, 2018 1:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Joshpath

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:25 am    Post subject: reply: mystery engine noise Reply with quote

I had a similar thing going on with my 2006 Pathfinder what was my issue I had a weird electric sound that I thought it was a pump or a alternator it was actually a oil filter change your oil 10W 30 for hot climates 5w 30 for cool to cold climates. I use preferably Valvoline high milage max replace your oil filter I find K&N to be fine
eieio
Sponsored Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: Mystery engine noise Reply with quote

disallow wrote:
Hey everyone,

So some possibilities :

Alternator, but I just replaced it last summer, and it's not acting up from a charging perspective.
Power steering, but there is no change to the noise if I turn the steering wheel.
Could be belt tensioner pulley, but why would the noise go away on shutdown?
AC compressor?

Try removing the belt for a short time, and listen for a change.
If it's anything belt or tensioner related, it should make a difference
I don't suppose you have a stethoscope with you?
If not, maybe buy one if possible?
.......hope it's nothing serious.

"I plan ahead. That way, I don't have to do anything right now!"
smj999smj

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you had your upper timing chains replaced yet? If not, "could possibly" be early signs of that issue. As far as the issue in the rear, I would suspect U-joints.
disallow
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So today the noise happened again. I turned off the AC and it stopped on about 5 seconds. Maybe the clutch. But the AC was working well on the way down and is doing ok here. Hope we can make it home without issue on the AC.

On the u joint I agree, but I just changed it last September so I hope it's not shot yet...

'05 Pathfinder SE Premium 4x4 - 315000kms (195000mi) - weekend warrior, Cortex Superchips on 87 Octane Tune, K&N filtercharger, Airlift 1000, Prodigy Brake controller, 7 pin trailer hookup, Prostart Remote Starter, Bilstein 4600 rear shocks, Cooper Discoverer ATw P265/70/16
underworld1001

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 2011 and have the same noise as well. I changed the belts and tensioner, but it's still there. If it is the oil filter, I usually change my own oil using Wix filters so that might explain it since they're not OEM. I've always thought it sounded like light electrical interference from the radio.
2011 SV V6 - BF Goodrich KO2 LT265/75 17-C, StopTech slotted rotors (934.42044), AEM DryFlow drop-in air filter (28-20286), free air box mod, Xtreme Truck Performance IMS (http://extremetruckperformance.com/?page_id=6), Bilstein 4600's (F-24-197427 / R-24-197434), Moog springs (F-81280 / R-81119 ), CSF aluminum radiator (7029)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Nissan Path Forum Index -> 2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: