2005 Pathfinder clicking noise in dash

Any topics related to 2005-2012 R51

Moderator: volvite

BobRSSS

2005 Pathfinder clicking noise in dash

Postby BobRSSS » Tue May 02, 2017 4:16 am

Good morning. This is an awesome forum! Learning a lot about Pathfinder!
Just bought our 2005 Pathfinder yesterday. We are experiencing a clicking noise in the dash intermittently. Seems to be coming from behind radio-speedo area. I'm pretty sure it's an HVAC door motor or something like that. Don't want to just tear into the dash and was hoping some of you guys/gals had some insight for me.

porksoda

Postby porksoda » Tue May 02, 2017 10:50 pm

Does this sound happen while driving? Also is your ac or heater on when the sound happens?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed May 03, 2017 12:15 pm

It's likely one of the door mode actuators. The plastic gear inside the motor will wear over time and start to skip when the door reaches the end of it's travel, putting more pressure on the gear. If you cycle the modes and temperature settings, the noise should go away at some point. If this is the case with yours, it's the actuator. They aren't expensive, but the dash has to be removed to access them.

BobRSSS

Postby BobRSSS » Wed May 03, 2017 7:03 pm

Yeah, that's what I figured. Just wondering if anyone else was experiencing this and how much of a pain it was to fix

Aries

Postby Aries » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:08 pm

I've got the same kind of problem with my 2012 S in that there is a really light rattling vibration behind the glove box and other in dash box I can't get to. I am really familiar with opening up the dash and messing with the radio and such, have not been able to nail this one down. Rattles on the highway at high speeds. Ug.

McMac

Postby McMac » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:25 am

Aries- That's an exact description of what I have in my '08. It sounds like it's coming from behind the upper glove box area, sort of where the passenger airbag is. I do sometimes get it at lower speeds too. Mine sounds like a plastic butt connector on a wiring harness which is touching, or near to, the inside plastic face of the dash or airbag assembly. I've never had the dash open, but this is the only real rattle or squeak I have in it. Sometimes I don't hear it for weeks and sometimes it's daily.

bubba59

easy...kinda fix for you

Postby bubba59 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:36 pm

I'm not on here often but I fixed mine by dropping the glove box (as if you were changing the filter) and then running through the modes to see what was happening.
Turns out the actuator door behind the glove box was skipping a tooth...since I didn't want to tear the dashboard out I found someone on the internet that had a fix.
What I used was just a piece of scrap 3 wire and casing I had laying around (like what you use for house wiring) and bent it into a kind of question mark shape and just hung it in the vent holes where the door comes down and closes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbzOkVOhMJ4

When the door closes it hits that before it can start making the clickity click noise that was driving me nuts.
My wife is constantly changing the heat/modes and it was getting really irritating...been that way for 6 months now and still now clicking...

Return to “R51 General Chat”