Wander

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

00pathySE

Wander

Postby 00pathySE » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:29 pm

So my Pathfinder has a tendency to tram rail down crappy roads here in Ontario. I was wondering if other owners have experienced this or if this is something i can fix? I am sure I need a wheel alignment as I have replaced some suspension components, could that also contribute to the problem?

DanJetta

Postby DanJetta » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:00 pm

A while back I did extensive research on tramlining because I thought something was wrong with my truck.

In short, there are several factors that play into your truck's tendency to tramline––the largest factor being the nature of the truck and the suspension. The next is tires. Highway tires with a wider surface area tend to tramline more than knobbier tires that tend to absorb (and forgive) inconsistencies in the road surface.

The third factor is alignment––particularly toe (in the front) and camber in the rear. Ever see another Pathfinder on the road that "squats" in the rear? That's bad camber. Make sure your alignment shop give you a before/after printout when they're done.

00pathySE

Postby 00pathySE » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:46 am

Thanks for your post.

I have a fairly cheap and worn set of all season tires that came on the truck. Also, I've recently done some suspension work on the front so my wheel alignment is likely off. Overall she rides much better that before the upgrades but with the rough roads around here it still wanders from time to time a little.

m.powerpt

Postby m.powerpt » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:39 pm

i get the same thing. there is a long stretch of road near where i live in NY that the plows are always tearing up pavement over the winter trying to remove snow. they re-pave the road almost in stripes that run with the road so im constantly back and forth and all over my lane depending on which "stripe" i hit. my tires are pretty good and knobby, general grabbers, but imthinking its my alignment which im getting done this weekend.

ill let you know how she drives when its done.

BullDozer

Postby BullDozer » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:16 am

How about the sway bar? One of my rear link is disconnected - broken link. My alignment is also off. The wander is very bad during ice and noticeable during rain.

sleeper187

Postby sleeper187 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:58 pm

it also depends on how many miles the truck has. worn tie rod ends are directly linked to the steering so they may also contribute to the wander, assuming tires and alignment are good

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”