Rack and pinion boot - with few rips - repairable?

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

BullDozer

Rack and pinion boot - with few rips - repairable?

Postby BullDozer » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:34 pm

So I have noticed for last few months steering has gotten more difficult.
Today I noticed on the rack and pinion boot, there are three small rips. Almost look like cuts.
I don’t know much about rack and pinion but the boot is I located near left tire well.

Can the boot be fixed?
Any advice appreciated. I will try to post pictures

Pic: I put white out next to the rips.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0f7zavqleyl7w ... t.jpg?dl=0

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:27 pm

Well, first of all, that's not a rack and pinion; that's a lower steering shaft joint assembly.
With the boot being ripped, it's very possible that the joint inside is binding, which would explain the hard steering. So, you likely need to replace the lower joint assembly, which is probably only available from Nissan, part # 48080-EA00A. The boot is not available separately, anyway, as the shaft comes as one, complete part.

BullDozer

Postby BullDozer » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:14 pm

smj999smj wrote:Well, first of all, that's not a rack and pinion; that's a lower steering shaft joint assembly.
With the boot being ripped, it's very possible that the joint inside is binding, which would explain the hard steering. So, you likely need to replace the lower joint assembly, which is probably only available from Nissan, part # 48080-EA00A. The boot is not available separately, anyway, as the shaft comes as one, complete part.
Thanks SMJ. I was at the dealer already before seeing your post. They said they sell just the boot, but they may have misunderstood me.
Question - any idea what kind of grease if any goes inside the boot?
Also, how much work involved in replacing lower joint assembly?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue May 01, 2018 8:29 am

If you told them you needed a rack & pinion boot, then, "yes," the boot, or "bellows," would be available. But did they actually see the part you are talking about? If not, then they probably didn't realize what you were talking about. According to the parts diagram, the boot isn't available separately (NOTE: copy and paste the entire link in order to get it to work, both the highlighted and non-highlighted part...rather than click on the hyperlinked part of it):

https://www.nissanpartsdeal.com/Page_Pr ... &PNC=48830

The joint assembly has a bolt and not at the bottom and there is a pinch bolt and nut located at the top. Once removed, one should be able to slide the lower shaft up enough to disengage the lower joint assembly and then the joint assembly can be removed. It is important to remember that the steering wheel should be held in place in some method to prevent it from turning freely, which could result in damage to the clockspring wires if it is installed out of sync. I usually center the steering, first, then tie a string or wire between the brake pedal and the bottom of the steering wheel to give it some play but not enough to turn a full revolution.
There is no grease inside the boot; it is just to protect the joint inside of it. Since you are experiencing hard steering, the joint is likely binding and no longer good, as I mentioned before, so, even if the boot was available, it's still not going to fix the problem of the bad joint.

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”