Painted LE Wheels and Painted Emblems

Anything relating to Wheels, Tires, and Brake options and upgrades...

Moderator: volvite

kevinthefro

Painted LE Wheels and Painted Emblems

Postby kevinthefro » Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:54 pm

Rustoleum Satin Black and Krylon Pepper Red
I wanted more durability than PlastiDip.

Last edited by kevinthefro on Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:57 pm, edited 5 times in total.

V8Pathy

Postby V8Pathy » Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:20 pm

looks good !

car_bore

Postby car_bore » Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:45 pm

Hi!

What paint did you use by the way? I plan on painting the stepboard with plastidip but figured it wont last since people step on it all the time.

kevinthefro

Postby kevinthefro » Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:45 pm

Rustoleum Satin Black
It's pretty good once it cures, but it's very soft for the first couple of weeks. Baking in the sun speeds up the curing a lot.

paradigm

Postby paradigm » Fri May 04, 2018 10:37 am

Old thread and you may not be around here anymore, but what prep did you do to the wheel prior to spraying it?

kevinthefro

Postby kevinthefro » Fri May 04, 2018 11:36 am

Yup still here. I recently posted some stuff about brakes and gears.
I sanded the factory clearcoat (powedercoat?) just enough to flatten the surface and make a good key. I think I used 220 grit.

Chips in the clear were filled with 5 minute epoxy and sanded smooth - epoxy paint is the only primer that sticks well to bare metal (I learned reading painting forums), so I figured epoxy glue should stick and be thick enough to match the level of the clearcoat. It worked great - the touch ups were invisible after paint. No variations in sheen at all.

I'm really glad I went with paint instead of PlastiDip. Two and a half years later the wheels have been beat to crap off roading and have numerous dings, but other than where the actual dings are the paint has not chipped, peeled or flaked off. It't not even lifting at the edges of the dings. PlastiDip would have been peeling off like a bad sunburn by now.
The only think I was disappointed with was the paint scraped off the edge of the rim when new tires were mounted.

Since this project I have graduated from Rustoleum Satin Black to Eastwood 2k Rat Rod Black. You can see it in my post about painting the grill. I screwed it up the first time and had to sand it off and repaint and I can confirm that 2k lives up to it's reputation as the toughest paint there is, short of powdercoat. Plus l like the matte sheen better.

Return to “R51 Brakes, Tires, and Wheels”