True factory tire size question

Anything relating to Wheels, Tires, and Brake options and upgrades...

Moderator: volvite

JesseVoss

True factory tire size question

Postby JesseVoss » Sat May 19, 2018 3:29 am

Hello,

First time post from a newbie with his first Pathfinder. It's a 2012 Silver edition 4x4 bought used with just 20k miles. I traded in my loved yet aging 2007 Expedition EL on this thing and except for having to get accustomed to the downsizing, my wife and I are truly enjoying the vehicle although mileage could be better but I didn't go into that blind.
Anyway, I noticed with the factory 265/65-17's, the speedo reads 3 mph under. I have read the Pathfinder was actually calibrated for 265/70-17's and replacing the tires with this size fixes the speedo, although I can't really confirm that. Can anyone shed a little light on the subject for me? I'm looking at getting some Grabber's or Toyo's so I need to resolve this issue. This is our family hauler/road trip vehicle and my DD so I'm not going to do any major modifications, although I did remove those shin-busting running boards. My 2006 F150 is my mod-toy vehicle and she's coming along nicely.

Any help will be apprecited.
I didn't find the right solution from the Internet.

References:
http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic. ... aa75406001
Creative video advertising agency

Thank you

underworld1001

Postby underworld1001 » Sat May 19, 2018 6:06 am

I just put 265/70s on mine. The original size, 265/65 did read a little off from the GPS and those digital displays that show when you're over the speed limit on the highway/freeways. The good thing is that you have to try a little harder to speed.

I know when I had my Tacoma, the move up to 1 size bigger tire put the speedo in directly in check. I suppose the computer was calibrated for the factory 17in vs the factory 16in that I had or at . In the case of the Pathfinder, I wouldn't be surprised if this is the case as well.
Last edited by underworld1001 on Sat May 19, 2018 7:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sat May 19, 2018 11:43 am

Yes, the speedo is calibrated for the taller tires used on the SE-Off Road. Similar condition exists on the Frontiers in that it seems to be calibrated for the Pro-4X model. For the most part, it's not a big issue, but if you want your speedo to be "spot-on," then changing to the larger tires will correct that. Don't forget about the spare tire!

Return to “R51 Brakes, Tires, and Wheels”