Rubbing sound when steering

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

jetstream87

Rubbing sound when steering

Postby jetstream87 » Sat May 26, 2018 11:41 am

So I manage to fix my rack and pinion, took the OEM to get it rebuilt and threw back in. Now I have the issue that when I am on the highway I feel the front of the car kinda tails lightly side to side. I notice twice when I make a sharp turn on low movement speed it makes a rubbing noise from the front passenger side wheel. Can this be because of the car not been properly aligned? Can it be something else such as the ball joints, control arms? The rack and pinion was sent off to have the seals changed and the power steering pump was rebuilt too. 1997 Nissan Pathfinder SE, still no alignment done since I am about to change the tires.

Hooligan

Postby Hooligan » Sun May 27, 2018 4:02 am

A couple years ago I replaced the rubber bushings with polyurthane ones and found that the hydraulic ram unit was still moving back and forth when steering, even with the bolts tightened to max. I solved the problem by seating the bushings with a film of permatex #2. Good stuff. That might not be your problem but, something to look at.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”