Just hit 200K miles

Any topics related to 2005-2012 R51

Moderator: volvite

DanJetta

Just hit 200K miles

Postby DanJetta » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:03 pm

So my 2008 V8 LE just hit 200,000 miles and I thought I'd share my overall experiences to this point in case anyone finds this interesting.

I've kept every receipt for every repair and, adding up the totals, cost of ownership has been relatively low.

60,000 miles: I replaced a bunch of little stuff, including the radiator (for peace of mind). Other things include the hatch motor, belt pulley, the DVD player, hatch struts, control arm (had to be cut out), window switch, etc.

110,000 miles: I replaced shocks & struts along with some small things (hood bumpers, rear hatch bumpers, etc.), a couple of TPMS sensors, and a hole in the muffler ($125).

140,000 miles: I had both cracked exhaust manifolds replaced ($3,000).

150,000 miles: I replaced a front hub and a couple of TPMS sensors.

160,000 miles: both exhaust manifolds needed to be replaced again because they cracked again (replaced under warranty).

175,000 miles: the air bag control module needed replacing.

185,000 miles: I replaced the driver side exhaust manifold again because it was throwing an O2 code.

195,000 miles: both exhaust manifolds needed to be replaced again (driver side cracked again and passenger side is throwing O2 code) however, the shop told me I was on my own because both parts and labor were out of warranty. I also found out that the shop who'd been doing/replacing the manifolds initially lied to me and used aftermarket manifolds instead of OEM. Should have gone to the dealer for that one. Now I'll be spending another $3200 to have it done right. I'm incredibly anal about OEM parts and will happily pay the extra to satisfy my OCD.

200,000 miles: the only new issue is a clanking from the rear that I think might be a blown shock.

Recurring repair items are:
- Belt tensioner about every 30K miles
- Front pinion seal about every 40K miles

Broken items that I never fixed (and don't intend to):
- Steering wheel heater (not sure why that's even a thing)
- 'Low' setting on both seat heaters (I'll commit to full heat or nothing)

Oil changes every 5-7K miles, tire rotation every other oil change, tires every 50K miles, fluids flushed every 75K miles, brakes and rotors more than I'd like to admit (my driving style), and a coolant bleed once a year at the beginning of heater season.

I've put this truck through hell (as have my toddlers) and it's held up really well. Considering how complainy I was in the beginning, it turned out to be a phenomenal truck.

We just bought a new car and traded in my wife's Infiniti (with less miles) because I really want to see how long the Pathfinder will keep going. I feel solid about 300,000.

hesham1

Postby hesham1 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:39 pm

awesome! thats great news. I have 124k on my 2008 and im encouraged by this. I did the spark plugs at 100k, but have you had to replace your ignition coils yet? Im curious to see how long before those need to be replaced.

Do you use an OEM belt / tensioner combo? I think i need to do my serpentine belt soon, and have heard the horror stories about the aftermarket sets. How about the ilder pulley, should i replace that while Im at it?

Last, my power steering is heavy compared to other vehicles Ive driven, including my Titan. I dont know if thats normal, but fluids are fine, belt looks tight etc. Is that normal on the pathfinders, or is there something else I should be looking at? Thanks!

FLiPMaRC

Postby FLiPMaRC » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:46 am

My friend's 2010 Pathfinder went up to 320k miles before he got rid of it. I think he didn't want to spend anymore money on since he bought a Ram 1500 and a Jeep Grand Cherokee.

DanJetta

Postby DanJetta » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:55 pm

hesham1 wrote:awesome! thats great news. I have 124k on my 2008 and im encouraged by this. I did the spark plugs at 100k, but have you had to replace your ignition coils yet? Im curious to see how long before those need to be replaced.
I've actually never replaced my plugs or coils. Pulled a plug at 150K miles because I was surprised that they were still doing so well and they looked really good then. I'm going to change plugs and cables regardless as part of my 200K service.
hesham1 wrote:Do you use an OEM belt / tensioner combo? I think i need to do my serpentine belt soon, and have heard the horror stories about the aftermarket sets. How about the ilder pulley, should i replace that while Im at it?
I've used both OEM and aftermarket. Both seem to last the same amount of time which, IMO, isn't very long. I don't recall replacing the idler pulley but if you're doing it yourself and you have everything off, might as well.
hesham1 wrote:Last, my power steering is heavy compared to other vehicles Ive driven, including my Titan. I dont know if thats normal, but fluids are fine, belt looks tight etc. Is that normal on the pathfinders, or is there something else I should be looking at? Thanks!
Hmm. Try having your alignment checked. I get my alignment checked every other oil change (I'm OCD about alignment) and do notice a change in how the steering feels when I'm in and out. I work downtown Baltimore. If you've never experienced the quality of Baltimore road surfaces, imagine driving a Honda Civic through a war-torn portion of Baghdad. My alignment changes hourly.

Return to “R51 General Chat”