V8 Brake Upgrade

Anything relating to Wheels, Tires, and Brake options and upgrades...

Moderator: volvite

kevinthefro

V8 Brake Upgrade

Postby kevinthefro » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:37 pm

The V8 Pathy has larger rotors than the V6, so I swapped the rotors and calipers out for a cheap upgrade. Parts from RockAuto. I got the Nastra Caliper set for $64 each and the Ultra Rotors on closeout for $24 each. https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/nis ... rotor,1896

Refurbished caliper and mounting bracket assembly. I opted for the kit with the "OEM" ceramic pads by Bosch. The calipers arrived with pads pre-installed, and I thought "how nice". After I was finished with the project I noticed a set of Bosch pads in the bottom of the box - the calipers came with pads preinstalled, but they were the cheapo semi-metallics. I had to tear it all apart again and swap pads. The brackets have a different offset. The calipers are slightly different and take different pads.

V8 pad on the left, V6 on the right.

320mm vs 295mm. The odd slot-patterned rotors were on closeout at $40.
V6

Super-easy swap only required three bolts - two on the caliper mounting bracket and the banjo bolt on the caliper - and bleeding. It's so cheap and so easy there is no reason not to do it next time you do a brake job.

The V8 caliper is 9mm closer to the wheel compared to the V6.
Last edited by kevinthefro on Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:17 pm, edited 5 times in total.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:50 am

I've been planning to do this for a while and just haven't had time to get around to it. I figured it would work but nice to know it does for sure before I buy the parts!

kevinthefro

Postby kevinthefro » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:10 pm

Yesterday I was too impatient to see if the swap would work so I did it without waiting for the stainless steel lines I had ordered from PRG. Today I found the lines in the mailbox (they were probably delivered while I was in the middle of the swap) and I tore it right back apart and put them in. http://www.prgproducts.com/shop/product ... es-silver/

Braided lines really firm up the pedal. Plus, the stock rubber lines were stretched to their limit with the increased droop from the spacer lift.

It's all wet from spraying down to rinse off brake fluid.
Last edited by kevinthefro on Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:19 am, edited 3 times in total.

underworld1001

Postby underworld1001 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:19 pm

Now I regret buying my slotted Stop-Techs. Oh well, as soon as i wear things down I'll go this route.

kevinthefro

Postby kevinthefro » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:03 am

This swap would have probably been a well-known upgrade - except, back in 2011 when it was brought up on the clubfrontier forum, a senior member declared it was impossible because the V8 and V6 had different spindles to accommodate different bolt hole spacing on the calipers. No one questioned him and the idea was dropped without testing.

I read that post a couple of years ago and believed it too, but last week I reread it and my BS meter started twitching...

FLiPMaRC

Re: V8 Brake Upgrade

Postby FLiPMaRC » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:04 am

kevinthefro wrote: The V8 caliper is 9mm closer to the wheel compared to the V6.
What size wheel do you have? Mine are 17"

kevinthefro

Postby kevinthefro » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:24 am

I have 18".
To clarify, the widest part of the V8 caliper has 9mm greater radius from the axle centerline vs. the V6 caliper.
How much clearance do you have currently?

Thupertrooper

Postby Thupertrooper » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:57 am

Im running 16" rims so this wont help me but looks good. Prg and Nisstec are great nissan supporters more custom is rugged rocks out of cali. Check them out.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:22 pm

kevinthefro wrote:This swap would have probably been a well-known upgrade - except, back in 2011 when it was brought up on the clubfrontier forum, a senior member declared it was impossible because the V8 and V6 had different spindles to accommodate different bolt hole spacing on the calipers. No one questioned him and the idea was dropped without testing.

I read that post a couple of years ago and believed it too, but last week I reread it and my BS meter started twitching...
About a year ago when I looked into this I went to NissanPartsDeal.com's site and compared the steering knuckle and wheel bearing hub's part numbers between the V8 & V6 Pathfinder and they were the same. Then, I found similar part numbers for the master cylinder between the two; the rear brakes are the same. So, at that point, I knew as long as it fit inside the wheels it would work. I was looking at going with EDP yellow pads and rotors and also going with the PRG brake hoses. Hopefully there will be a noticeable stopping difference.

kevinthefro

Postby kevinthefro » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:11 pm

smj999smj wrote:About a year ago when I looked into this I went to NissanPartsDeal.com's site and compared the steering knuckle and wheel bearing hub's part numbers between the V8 & V6 Pathfinder and they were the same. Then, I found similar part numbers for the master cylinder between the two; the rear brakes are the same. So, at that point, I knew as long as it fit inside the wheels it would work. I was looking at going with EDP yellow pads and rotors and also going with the PRG brake hoses. Hopefully there will be a noticeable stopping difference.
Feels good to be right, right?

This definitely more than made up for the sluggishness caused by going to 33" tires, which should translate to shorter stopping distance.

You just made me realize something - I've panic-stopped several times - with the big tires - but never engaged the ABS. And I mean I was standing on the pedal. That tells me I wasn't utilizing all the grip available. I should try that now and see if I can get the ABS to engage.

turbo50jeff

excellent cheap upgrade

Postby turbo50jeff » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:21 pm

I have two R51's 2005 SE and an 07 LE. This is the best and cheapest upgrade possible. I regularly tow a 3000lb boat with no brakes on the trailer. I did it with the stock brakes and then did an entire brake job on my 07 new calipers at all four corner. The v8 upgraded brakes up front with Monroe DX1101 semi-metallic pads in the rear and stop tech sport semi's up front and stainless lines all around.
The difference is HUGE! I think most of the upgrade was the different pads. Ceramic pads are awful I will never ever put them on another vehicle again. I will deal with all the downsides of the semi's. All one of them. More brake dust. They don't make a sound super quiet and the vehicle actually stops now. With the boat in tow it's very reassuring now. I couldn't believe how bad it was before.
Ceramic pads are for people who want quiet brakes with no dust and 60-80K replacement intervals and those who don't want to stop.

I was so happy with them I wanted to put them on my 05 SE with the 16" wheels. They will NOT fit. I tried it hits you can't even get the wheel on. My 07 has 17" wheels they fit fine.
I am in the process of hunting down some 17"LE wheels right now for my 05, I need tires now anyway so it's not too $.

Anyone else who says spindles are different is horseshit.
Easiest upgrade. This is how the vehicle should've come from the factory to begin with.
So if you poke around on here you'll also find out that the V8 calipers came as stock brakes on the 370Z back in the day so the pad choices that are available out there are endless.
I followed the information that someone else did long time ago that was posted on here.

C

Postby C » Fri May 11, 2018 4:13 pm

Just came across all this, and it's great info!

A few questions about the brake upgrade:

1) Any issues with stability/traction control systems, ABS, etc.?

2) Has anyone come across any other 'gotchas' after upgrading?

3) I don't know to what degree, if any, brake proportioning concerns would play a role in this, or if the system would totally account for the upgrade (not sure if there are programming differences in V6 vs V8 Paths' systems brake-wise). This may be purely academic, but I like to look before I leap, and would appreciate any discussion on the topic. Here's some discussion on proportioning, but there's plenty more out there: http://www.stoptech.com/technical-suppo ... ing-valves

4) I believe we can call it officially confirmed that this is a no go with 16s? (Wow, I wish I knew this before I bought my PF and put $$$ worth of tires on my 16s. Would have grabbed a set of 17s from the start!)

5) I'm going to post up a separate thread re: best 2018 choices for pads, rotors, and lines.

***smj - did you do your upgrade yet? Would love to hear your opinions on the EBCs and etc.!

Thanks!

kevinthefro

Postby kevinthefro » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:07 pm

Nope, no issues and I abuse the heck out of it. I drive like a teenager.

Somebody on the Frontier forum tried and confirmed they won't fit under the 16" wheels.

Krymdog

Postby Krymdog » Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:42 pm

My set is on the way.

Totes stoked.

To the OP, you didn't ever drive it WITHOUT the SS lines, right? I am thinking I may hold off on that.

kevinthefro

Postby kevinthefro » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:01 pm

Only for half a day. The majority of the difference is from the bigger rotors.

Return to “R51 Brakes, Tires, and Wheels”