The Nissan Path Forum Index The Nissan Path
The World Wide Nissan Pathfinder Owner's Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Use Google to search TheNissanPath forums ->
A/C malfunctioning

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Nissan Path Forum Index -> R51 Electrical
View previous topic :: View next topic  
labsy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:36 pm    Post subject: A/C malfunctioning Reply with quote

Hi,

I serviced the engine during winter, changed chains, sprockets, gaskets...meaning, whole front end was teared apart. But during cold weather I did not need A/C cooling.

But now, when heat is coming, I found out, A/C does not cool. Ok, did some service:
- the refrigerator pressure switch was broken, probably during engine repair, so I replaced it with new one
- regenerated and refilled refrigerator gas

But still, A/C cooling no go.
Then I checked A/C compressor. Took off electrical connection and wired it directly to 12V+, and compressor kicked-in instantly, and vent blowing out ice-cool air. Nice, compressor is OK.

But still my auto A/C does not work.
Actually, hotter it get's outside, more hot air it blows in. Not as hot as if I turn it to full heat, but still it's hotter than outside air.

Any ideas what else could I check myself, before visiting the dealership?
labsy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I came down to possible malfunction of A/C pressure sensor in front refrigerator.

Anybody have any data on how/what to measure to test if pressure sensor is OK?
labsy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My monologue continues Smile

I've tried with some AUTO TESTS as follows:
- Auto-test of lights, vipwers and A/C compressor clutch and it was SUCCESS
- Auto-test of A/C components, but could not initiate it. Test should be performed doing those steps: Ignition ON, then turn Vent dial CCV + Temp dial CV, release them and press AUTO within 3 seconds. Tried multiple times, but could not get it started.

So, what I know so far?
1.) A/C compressor is OK, it can be started by control commands
2.) Obviously some other component does not give OK signal, most probably A/C pressure switch.

I've tested +5V at A/C refrigerant pressure switch, so it's getting power supply. Would like to manually bypass its OK signal, but how?
labsy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got to proper data about A/C refrigerant pressure sensor.
It's one like this:

what I did was connect 2kOhm and then 50kOhm resistor between 5V feed and return Signal wire to bypass the sensor. In one case A/C kicked in alone, and in other case A/C + refrigerator cooler fan both kicked in.
Which is OK...in one case CPU thought refrigerant pressure is within low limit, meaning it's not hot, so only compressor kicked in, while in other case CPU detected high pressure, meaning refrigerant is hot and needs cooling.

With this simple procedure I found out, that my NEW A/C pressure switch is broken and needs to be replaced.
Took me 1 month to check everything else and come back to just replaced (obviously failed) pressure switch, which needs warranty replacement.
disallow
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Friggin awesome info on the switch! I was just going through the same thing on my 2010 rogue which uses the same switch. Fortunately I had a Genuine Nissan one in my tool box, so I replaced it, and the AC works wonderfully now.

Sorry I didn't see this post sooner, could have at least chimed in!

t

'05 Pathfinder SE Premium 4x4 - 315000kms (195000mi) - weekend warrior, Cortex Superchips on 87 Octane Tune, K&N filtercharger, Airlift 1000, Prodigy Brake controller, 7 pin trailer hookup, Prostart Remote Starter, Bilstein 4600 rear shocks, Cooper Discoverer ATw P265/70/16
minostar73

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:54 am    Post subject: A/C pressure switch removal Reply with quote

Hello,
This switch is screwed on to the dryer correct?
Do you have to discharge your refrigerant before removing the switch?
Thanks for any tip.
disallow
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: A/C pressure switch removal Reply with quote

minostar73 wrote:
Hello,
This switch is screwed on to the dryer correct?
Do you have to discharge your refrigerant before removing the switch?
Thanks for any tip.

Yes if you don't it will all leak out when you remove the switch and you'll freeze yours hand.

'05 Pathfinder SE Premium 4x4 - 315000kms (195000mi) - weekend warrior, Cortex Superchips on 87 Octane Tune, K&N filtercharger, Airlift 1000, Prodigy Brake controller, 7 pin trailer hookup, Prostart Remote Starter, Bilstein 4600 rear shocks, Cooper Discoverer ATw P265/70/16
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Nissan Path Forum Index -> R51 Electrical All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: