sensitive braking issue

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

whitewhale

sensitive braking issue

Postby whitewhale » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:58 pm

I have a 1999 2wd. The brakes work good but the pedal is way to sensitive. If I'm not careful I feel like I'm are going to send passengers through the window shield when braking to a stop. I have a new driver in the house and just learning on the clutch and with the added trouble with the brake system it has been a challenge. The vehicle also tends to dip toward the front when braking making me think the front brakes are working and the rear brake aren't but the inspection of the rear doesn't indicate anything.

I am not sure if the issue is the proportioning valve? or the brake booster?
I know some vehicles have the proportioning valve attached at the master cylinder but not sure where this one is and how to check it.

IDEAS?

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:31 pm

I've never dealt with this on a pathfinder, but in my old honda civic, there was an adjustment wheel on the rear drums. You want the ratio for braking force to be about 60-70% front, and 30-40% rear.

If your brakes are really jumpy, its probably because the rear drums are set too high, and you need to back off the adjustment wheel a few notches on both sides.

Does your ebrake work?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:31 pm

Adjust your rear brakes and, if you have a load sensing valve on your rear axle, make sure it's operating and adjusted properly.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”