Moog Front Springs - questions

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

ShipFixer

Moog Front Springs - questions

Postby ShipFixer » Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:43 pm

Just put together a Bilstein 4600 and Moog 81280 coil spring at the base auto shop and I'm not sure I like how it looks. Like the rears, they use thicker coils to offset closer coils - but they're way closer. All together it looks like I have maybe an inch of free space between the coils which makes me worry about coil bind.

Also, wow does this thing want to not come together straight at the top. I am using the new polyurethane spring seat and bushing set from 4x4parts (had the bushings before, they're great) where the lube may not be helping, but not sure I am liking what I see where the top remains at an angle.

Thinking maybe I should have used the Bilstein 5100 that support 0-2" of lift, or maybe just stuck with new stock springs. I assume the rest of you used a regular Bilstein 24-197427 for the front along with the 81280 coil, and it worked out.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:04 pm

I just did my rears, I already had my 4600s, and replaced my coils with NAPA Moog rear springs. They have way more coils than the factory springs did. So I mirror your observation. Not sure what to think about the coil bind issue, I don't think there is that much compression, but I've never measured it or observed it either.

My experience with assembling front struts is that its finicky work. Make sure you've got a really good compressor, and just keep working it. I found it was difficult to get the rear springs in, but when I put them side by side with the factory coils, they were exactly the same height.

Good luck!

underworld1001

Postby underworld1001 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:15 pm

If you did what I did, the bottom spring seat on the strut was upside down making the spring look all contorted and EXTREMELY tight looking. Once I flipped the spring seat to the correct position the spring sat perfectly in there. Have not had an issue yet.

ShipFixer

Postby ShipFixer » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:45 pm

underworld1001 wrote:If you did what I did, the bottom spring seat on the strut was upside down making the spring look all contorted and EXTREMELY tight looking. Once I flipped the spring seat to the correct position the spring sat perfectly in there. Have not had an issue yet.
Ugh, if I put these in upside down...let me check.

ShipFixer

Postby ShipFixer » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:38 am

Yep it's upside down. That's what I get for going fast! :D Sad thing is this is like the fourth or fifth time I've done the fronts. Now hoping I can get this thing apart tomorrow. The top nut is on, but sure feels like I have a bomb in the back of my truck...

http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f26/ ... am-134113/

ShipFixer

Postby ShipFixer » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:44 pm

Got the fronts together with the polyurethane spring seats and bushiings from 4x4parts. Nice not having to crank down and compress the rubber spring seat while everything is in the compressor.

Not fun undoing that overly compressed spring with the reversed seat though :-D

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”