Tranny overheating?

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

BCGeo

Tranny overheating?

Postby BCGeo » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:43 pm

2008 V6 LE.
Aftermarket radiator installed (not bypass) and stock tranny cooler.
Transmission rebuilt.

On steep climbs off road (4H / 4L) the car starts to develop a smell and goes into a quasi-limp mode - it stops letting me select what gear when using the manual mode on the shifter (ie. I'll have it in 'M' but it'll say 'D' on the dash and bumping the shifter around won't change gears). Stays that way for ~ 30 min of normal driving and I have to turn the car on/off before it resets.

Transmission is under warranty due to being recently rebuilt, but they say there is nothing they can do because it hasn't thrown any codes. Had everything replaced except the valve body housing and they gave me a used TCM.

Anyone on here have suggestions on what the issue/solution could be? Do I need an aftermarket tranny fan? New cooler? Bad torque converter causing excess slip? TCM issue? Do I need to install a tranny temp gauge to sort this out?

My fear is I can't select gear and then overheat the brakes when going down. Dangerous conditions for the back roads around here.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:33 pm

Have you checked the fluid condition and level?

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”