2002 SE stalled last night.

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

Pathfindork

2002 SE stalled last night.

Postby Pathfindork » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:20 pm

So driving home last night the engine cut out and the dash displayed the SES, battery, airbag, and brake lights. I initially thought alternator, but the thing is that the battery was still strong and was able to crank the engine and drive home stalling once or twice more before getting there. If the alternator went wouldnt the battery drain before stalling?

This morning it was fine, aside from the SES light being on. Alternator checked out fine except for P0102 and P1102 codes which indicate the MAF sensor. I cleaned the old one and ordered a replacement.

So would a bad MAF cause the engine to die and display all the lights you normally get from a bad alternator? I suppose those lights are on anyway if you turn the key but dont start it.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:55 am

If the engine stalled, therefore "not running," then, "yes," the dash lights will come on. "Yes," the mass air flow sensor can cause the engine to stall. The codes indicate the ECM saw the problem as being related to the mass air flow sensor, which could very well be the sensor, itself, but could also be a harness open or short or a bad connection.

Pathfindork

Postby Pathfindork » Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:25 pm

Ok. I replaced the MAF yesterday and this morning it would turn over then die unless I kept the gas on; under those conditions I drove to work just fine.

Leaving work same thing but it died on the side of the road and wouldn't even turn over. Battery is strong. Dashboard brake light stays on regardless of parking brake position; brake fluid is full. Prior to this idle was steady.

P0505, p0506, p1102

Someone suggested I need to leave the battery disconnected for an hour or two so will do that tonight.

Pathfindork

Postby Pathfindork » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:23 am

So based on the burnt smell in the cabin I'm pretty sure my bad iACV (p0505/p0506) fried the ECU; going to pull it and open the cover to verify damage. Cranking it also burns out the 10A EICC2 fuse in the left-side fuse box. I'm sending that out for repair, there's a place in Atlanta which does that, so I don't need to get new keys and have it towed to a dealer to have everything reprogrammed.

Going to replace the IACV, will do a new o-ring with the IACV as well. Replacing the TPS is something I see recommended when discussing this issue; it's a cheap part so I don't mind.

From what I've read, removing the airbox, MAF, and intake tube/hose from the throttle body will give me good access to the IACV, is this correct?

Anything else I'm not considering?

2002 SE

Pathfindork

Postby Pathfindork » Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:10 pm

So everything is good again...well after replacing the IACV, TPS, and getting my ECU rebuilt by Circuit Board Medics. Next week Im going to have the coolant lines bypass the IACV so this issue "p0505 spiking the ECU" problem doesn't happen again.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”