1997 Nissan Pathfinder - Multiple Questions

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

LumpyHumper

1997 Nissan Pathfinder - Multiple Questions

Postby LumpyHumper » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:47 pm

I own a 1997 R50 SE with the AT that I've got a few problems/questions that I figured I'd come to the more knowledgeable for.

1. After using my AC, water drains onto the passenger side floor. I am aware that the drain is clogged, how do I go about fixing that? From what I've found, it's the black hose on the passenger side firewall, but when I felt inside of it I felt a plastic tube but it didn't have a hole in it. Surrounding said tube was foam.

2. Is there an easy way to changing the driver side, pre-cat, oxygen sensor? It's in a difficult spot under the break booster.

3. There's an electrical connector that's unplugged on the driver side of the engine bay that I'm unsure where and what it goes to. The wire is tied into the same connector that hooks up to the AC compressor. Here's a link to an imgur album with pictures of it, imgur(dot)com/gallery/snk7dZ6

Thanks for the help/advice in advance!

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:31 pm

In the shop, I would use a blow gun inserted into the end of the drain hose and would blow the clog out with compressed air. If you don't have that, a lot of people use pipe cleaners to push through the clog. Just be aware that once the clog is removed, about a quart or more of water will come pouring out of the drain in a hurry!

I can't answer your question about the O2 sensor without seeing it. Some can be a real pain, especially if you don't have an assortment of different O2 sensor wrenches.

The third question is a lot easier. It plugs into the oil pressure switch, which should be, IIRC, right above the oil filter in the oil filter adapter.

LumpyHumper

Postby LumpyHumper » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:06 am

Thanks for your help! Going to try and see what I can do about the a/c clog, and I might just have a shop change the O2 sensor to save myself the headache. I am also going to take your advice and try to find the oil pressure switch to hook up that connector.

I have another question if you wouldn't mind answering too; I recently put a new power steering belt on, Napa # 25-9348M, and although it fixed the slipping, it does have an annoying chirp now and the belt seems to be maxed out on the adjuster. I was going to just put a shorter belt on it, but I don't understand why the new belt would have any issues in the first place. Plus, the belt that it calls for has an angle of 30 degrees and I'm unsure if putting another belt on that isn't at that angle would affect anything.

Thanks again.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:45 pm

When dealing with Asian makes, it's usually best to stick with the manufacturer's part or at least the OE manufacturer of that belt. For example, older Nissan belts are often made by Bando, so Bando belts are typically the exact size of the genuine Nissan belt. When you start dealing with aftermarket brands, like Dayco, for example, it tends to be a crap shoot when it comes to fit and performance. Many times, they can be a little longer, which sounds like the problem in your case. Also, aftermarket manufacturers often have different lines for their belts, like an economy belt and their premium belt. It's a case of getting what you pay for in many cases. Always go for the better parts. Bando brand belts can usually be had at a decent price from Rockauto.com.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”