2003 Nissan Pathfinder SE

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

jetstream87

2003 Nissan Pathfinder SE

Postby jetstream87 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:31 am

Unfortunately my 97 Pathfinder is slowly dying on me. I got into an accident on the end of August; thankfully I walked away with bruises in my arms and a broken watch that was passed down to me. Surprisingly the car was drive-able after been sandwhich in a multi car collision. Made the math and it will cost me 3,500 to fix the body damage + get it reinspected and registered as salvage.

I found another Pathfinder 2003 with 153K miles; should I jump on it as they are asking for 2,200 but plan on negotiating for 2,000 K. Just want to know what maintenance issues will I face as the car is older. Any common issues with those models? Appreciate your two pennies inputted.

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:00 pm

I know the 05s quite well (radiators from 05-10!) but those newer ones are quite bullet proof.
With an 03 I believe it shared both tranny and engine with the Maxima so quite solid albeit not cutting edge performance anymore..

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:14 am

2003's did not share the Maxima's transmission. The 2003 Pathfinder had the VQ35DE engine. The pluses are it's got a lot more power than the VG33E, gets better gas mileage and has timing chains instead of a timing belt. The cons are that it does have a lot more sensors and is technologically more advanced than the VG33E, so it does tend lend itself to more potential check engine VQ35DE engines in these Pathfinders that had one or more of the power valve screws fall out and into the engine, due to insufficient thread-locker applied at the factory. Another issue that a few have is oil burning due to the oil control rings getting stuck in the landings and not sealing against the cylinder bore sufficiently. Much like your 97 model, they did fall under the recall for the front strut corrosion issues and also had the same problems with the rear suspension links splitting and causing the back end to wander while driving.

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:47 am

I stand corrected, thanks for the clarification SMJ :)

jetstream87

Postby jetstream87 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:09 am

smj999smj wrote:2003's did not share the Maxima's transmission. The 2003 Pathfinder had the VQ35DE engine. The pluses are it's got a lot more power than the VG33E, gets better gas mileage and has timing chains instead of a timing belt. The cons are that it does have a lot more sensors and is technologically more advanced than the VG33E, so it does tend lend itself to more potential check engine VQ35DE engines in these Pathfinders that had one or more of the power valve screws fall out and into the engine, due to insufficient thread-locker applied at the factory. Another issue that a few have is oil burning due to the oil control rings getting stuck in the landings and not sealing against the cylinder bore sufficiently. Much like your 97 model, they did fall under the recall for the front strut corrosion issues and also had the same problems with the rear suspension links splitting and causing the back end to wander while driving.

Wow sounds like it is a bit more high maintenance; do you know around what mileage should I expect those troubles? I am sad to let go of my 97 as it is a trooper! Even with a leaking water pump and engine not properly timed it is still pulling thru! I am sure even if I do the body repair and air bags the mechanical issue will persist more sooner or later as it is close to 180,000 miles.

jetstream87

Postby jetstream87 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:00 pm

This is what I need to replace after the damage; found most of the parts on Rockauto; except the airbags I will need to get them from Ebay:

- Front Bumper
- Grill
- Headlamps assembly
- Fenders
- Bumper filler
- Back Bumper
- Back bumper trim
- Radiator Support (bent)
- A/C condensor (bent)
- Airbags

The body repair is been charged from $1,400 - $1,700 to complete the job and paint. [/img]

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”