4-pin to 7-pin Electrical Problem - Please help!

Topics related to Lights, Radio, Stereo, Headunits, Alternators...

Moderator: volvite

thenewplaid

4-pin to 7-pin Electrical Problem - Please help!

Postby thenewplaid » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:03 pm

Hey all -

I watched the following video to help install a brake controller and 4-pin to 7-pin in my 2009 Pathfinder, V6, 4.0L:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-Fj2VK10oQ

I followed all the steps, but I cheaped out on the relay, which I just wanted quickly, and ordered from Amazon. I got the following set of three, just to get the large brown one:
https://www.amazon.com/Curt-Manufacturi ... op?ie=UTF8

The set was $15, as compared to $50 for the one relay at eTrailer.

In any event, I went to go pick up my new (to me) RV today, and there wasn't much, if any, juice coming from my 7-pin. I ended up having to leave the RV at the lot, as I couldn't work the lights or brakes. No camping for my family this weekend, and they're really bummed out.

Anyway, the guys in the shop at the RV place said it might be that my "tail-light adapter" might be faulty in my Pathfinder. I brought up the relay thing, and they said that might be the case, too. Could the cheap relay be causing an issue? In reading about other Nissans of this era, I learned that there is another spot for a relay under the steering wheel. I opened up my lower dash, and it looks like there's a black relay in there. (Is that one a dummy? Should I replace it with one of the blue relays I have?)

Do I have the wrong relays? Is there something else I should be looking for? I'm hesitant to take it to the dealership, because I don't have a spare arm to give them for diagnostic work.

Please speak slowly; I don't speak car very well.

Thank you!
Matt

kevinthefro

Postby kevinthefro » Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:41 am

I got the same Amazon relay and it works fine.

I bought a used trailer and the brake lights didn't work - the trailer plug had not been used in a long time and was fairly corroded. Lots of plugging and removing to scrape the corrosion off the pins and then the lights worked.

Did you use the Nissan 7 pin harness, or an aftermarket one?
I used the Nissan and the lights and brakes worked. A fuse has to be put in the fuse box for the 12v supply for charging the trailer battery.

Return to “R51 Electrical”