98 Pathfinder not shifting into 4th

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

kentuckyboy94

98 Pathfinder not shifting into 4th

Postby kentuckyboy94 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:28 pm

I have a 98 Pathfinder 3.3 v6 4x4 and it shifts into first fine. Then second struggles but when you let off and get back on the gas it will go into third. And after that it's like it runs high rpms and does not shift. But the third gear its self is still pulling. Should I change fluid and filter or is it too gone ? What should I do or check.

kentuckyboy94

Postby kentuckyboy94 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:34 pm

It's a automatic transmission

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:04 pm

Kentuckyboy:

Welcome to TheNissanPath!`

I am not our resident tech here so take what I write w/ a grain of alt.. and I would wait for his sage advice.
But my first gut response is its done.. but I suppose it might be just the valvebody who knows...

Hopefully smj will chime in soon :)

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:05 pm

It doesn't sound real good! Things I would do first is find out if there are any stored powertrain codes. The engine management codes can be read with an OBD II code reader. For the transmission codes, there is a manual procedure listed in the factory service manual that you can do. Also, I would look at the color and level of the transmission fluid. If it smells burnt and is dark brown or black in color, chances are the transmission has a clutch pack or more that is burnt up and you'll be looking at an overhaul or replacement transmission. If the fluid is low, top it off and see how it goes.
If nothing comes up with those checks, then the next step would be to get transmission oil pressure gauges and do a pressure and stall tests, also explained in the FSM. If that's not an option for you, then you could pull the trans pan and look for large amounts of metal shavings in the bottom of the pan and on the magnet or bits and pieces of metal, i.e. pieces of needle bearings and such. If that's the case, there's hard part damage and the trans needs overhaul or replacement. As far as the filter, Jatco transmissions don't used them. All they have is a screen. Their reasoning is that if there's enough debris in the fluid to restrict or clog the screen, then a service is not needed, rather a transmission overhaul.
If you do get any codes, by all means post them for us. If you get any for the throttle position sensor, replace the sensor and adjust per the factory service manual procedure and then relearn the closed throttle switch position.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”