The Nissan Path Forum Index The Nissan Path
The World Wide Nissan Pathfinder Owner's Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Use Google to search TheNissanPath forums ->
Hi-Lift jack-HELP!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Nissan Path Forum Index -> 2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
56nomad56

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:56 pm    Post subject: Hi-Lift jack-HELP! Reply with quote

I just bought a hi-lift jack b/c I'm a noob to off-roading and going on a 9-day trip to Southern Utah at the end of the month. Nothing major but want to be prepared.

So...watched the tutorial video and went outside to look at the PF. It's a 4X4 with running boards. Got underneath and for the life of me couldn't figure out where the jack would go to change a tire. The front bumper would get completely mangled (and probably couldn't handle the stress), there's no way the jack would reach the frame rails from the side. The only place I can see to put it is under the tow hitch in the back, which wouldn't help with a flat front tire.

Am I missing something here? Even without the running boards with the curvature of the doors and how far the frame rails are, I don't think the jack would reach.

Any help on this would be appreciated, thanks in advance!
Npath

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: Hi-Lift jack-HELP! Reply with quote

High lift jacks won't work on 05+ Pathfinders that have stock bumpers.

High lift jacks are ideal for steel bumpers. Especially great with Jeeps that have 1/4" steel plating along the sides.

In your present case (stock Pathfinder), it'd be ideal as a manual winch. Sad
volvite
Sponsored Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a set of sliders and your Hilift jack will work with those.

http://www.rocky-road.com/pathfinderrockrail.html
What did you do to your Pathfinder thread:http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic.php?p=71760#71760
goblue90

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

volvite wrote:
Get a set of sliders and your Hilift jack will work with those.

http://www.rocky-road.com/pathfinderrockrail.html

x2... I have Shrockworks sliders:

you'll also need slider adapters:
http://www.sbefabrication.com/data/storage/attachments/974e08c6c9b3bf4e21c465359261057b.jpg

If you don't have sliders, look into getting some of the hi-lift accessories, like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Hi-Lift-LM100-Jack-LM-100-Lift-Mate/dp/B00042KGWG/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1310363032&sr=8-4
'05 LE: 18" G-FX OR7, 275/65/18 GY Duratracs, 2" lift w/Radflo 2.0 coilovers, HD Bilstein shocks, Rancho Spacers, AirLift1000; AP Racing brakes & Goodridge stainless steel brake lines; Bully Dog Triple Dog GT; WRP IMS, Magnaflow 12580; Pioneer AVIC-D3, Shrockworks winch bumper & sliders, Skidrow skidplates, Engo E12000 winch; custom roof rack; HID retrofit; 30" LED light bar, Rigid Dually reverse lights, front camera.
56nomad56

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:00 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Good info. Not sure if the wife will give up the steps as she's the primary driver and relatively short, but I can definitely look into it. Might keep it anyway in case we get high centered somewhere and can use the wheel attachments.
volvite
Sponsored Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, my wife is the same way, so I'd look at the rocky mountain super sliders as they stick up and out a bit more and act like a step or nerf bar but are super strong. I plan to get them one of these days.
What did you do to your Pathfinder thread:http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic.php?p=71760#71760
Paneri

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is seemingly an old thread, but I'll add my two cents.
With appropriate jacking points front & rear (a plain bull bar & a Hayman Reece style tow bar with t tongue that sticks out past the rear of the car will work - but NEVER use those 'T' shaped jack https://mechanicguides.com/best-farm-jacks/ points for this!) you can use the instability of a highly jacked Hi-Lift jack to turn the car in it's own length - bit of work, but it can save backing 5 plus km's thru tight & winding tracks! Jack the front of the car up as high as you can, & the push the jack off (when it's clear & safe to do so of course) towards the Driver's side of the vehicle - front will move a metre or so that way. Then go to the back & jack that up as high as you can before pushing it off the jack towards the passenger's side of the vehicle - back will move a metre or so that way. Do that a few times & you've got the car half way round; keep doing it & the car can be turned in it's own length!! It IS hard work, but I've done it more than once for people in sticky situations - as mentioned earlier, it can save a lot of difficult backing!

And the same instability can be used to get the wheels out of ruts, ie move the vehicle 1 metre or so in one direction - same deal only this time push the front & back in the same direction - clear of ruts is the result. Or you could lift the wheels & pack under them (for my 2 bob, the pushing sideways bit is easier!) That instability is part of the versatility of the Hi-Lift, use it when you can take advantage of it, but at all other times it is a liability, hence NEVER let anyone sit in or get near a vehicle lifted on a Hi-Lift Jack - they are unstable!! You shouldn't ever get under a car on a Hi-Lift alone, or try to change a tyre using a Hi-Lift alone, even if you use it to get the lift you need to do the job - chock it up or use another jack to stabilise the vehicle before you do anything else!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Nissan Path Forum Index -> 2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: