The Nissan Path Forum Index The Nissan Path
The World Wide Nissan Pathfinder Owner's Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Use Google to search TheNissanPath forums ->
Any successes swapping out Bose speakers in R51?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Nissan Path Forum Index -> NAV/GPS/Audio/Electronics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jontyrees

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:22 pm    Post subject: Any successes swapping out Bose speakers in R51? Reply with quote

I just picked up a very clean 2010 Pathfinder, and I'm really liking the truck so far. The Bose stereo is a little "blah" though. Vocals are too prominent, not much guitar and bass guitar. On my wife's previous Mazda CX-9 with Bose, we got a good improvement by simply swapping out the stock dash speakers with some Boston Acoustics, that pretty much just dropped in. I really don't want to mess with the HU in the Pathfinder, and I'm hoping there's a quick solution to improve the sound. I'm looking at some JBL GX692 6x9s for the front doors - they're 2.3ohm, but 94db sensitivity, so I'm hoping I can get away with the increased impedance due to the high sensitivity.

Has anyone had luck with a simple speaker swap in the Bose system? I understand that the stock speakers are 1ohm, so it's a difficult ask.
palmerwmd

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope a real stereo guy will chime in. I remember on a previous Nissan product having had issues with the Bose speakers and they couldn't "just" be swapped w/o getting other components renewed.

This was along time ago though and i hope somoene more versed than I will answer you.

2012 V6 4WD, in Grey over Grey
jontyrees

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers - it's a recurring issue with factory premium stereos, and with Bose in particular. They are not easy to customize, due to odd speaker sizes, usually very low impedance, HU integration with other functions, etc. Bose releases zero info on the specs of their hardware, so I have no idea how much power the amp is putting out into the 1 ohm load it's seeing with the stock speakers, let alone what it would push into a higher 2.3 ohm load. The speakers I was looking at have a lowish impedance (2.3 ohms), and are exceptionally efficient (94 dbs), so they might be worth a shot. The Crutchfield rep I chatted with said they would be my best bet, but I don't know if I want to take a $60 gamble (on sale from $119), plus the hassle of taking the doors apart, inevitably breaking at least one fastener, etc! To add to the conundrum, I think the drivers side front speaker is blown - a distinct flatulant sound with the bass turned up at higher volumes. Decisions.....
smj999smj

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The subwoofer speakers are 1-ohm but the door speakers are 2-ohm. I would think your speakers would work in the doors just fine at 2.3-ohm.
jontyrees

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smj999smj wrote:
The subwoofer speakers are 1-ohm but the door speakers are 2-ohm. I would think your speakers would work in the doors just fine at 2.3-ohm.

Excellent! Thanks - I think I'll give them a shot
jontyrees

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jontyrees wrote:
smj999smj wrote:

Excellent! Thanks - I think I'll give them a shot

Ordered. I'll report back once they're installed. Fingers crossed this works out - they're two way coaxial 6x9s, so I'll have an extra tweeter. I wonder if the Bose amp sends a full range signal to the door speakers. If they're band passed to cut out highs and lows, the extra tweeter won't matter. Thanks for the info!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Nissan Path Forum Index -> NAV/GPS/Audio/Electronics All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: