2001 Pathfinder Purchase

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

jtelander

2001 Pathfinder Purchase

Postby jtelander » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:15 pm

I'm considering the purchase of a 2001 Pathfinder LE with 85000 on the odometer.

I would appreciate any input folks can provide regarding issues with this model year and things I should check out.

As far as I know, no significant repairs have been made.

If I buy it, are there repairs/maintenance issues I should be aware of?

Thanks for any information you can share

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:15 am

Check for rust or corrosion at the bottom of the strut towers; there's a recall to address this issue. Some engines had problems with the power valve screws not getting enough thread locker at the factory, so the screws would fall down into the engine. Bushings in the rear suspension links can split with age and cause the rear of the vehicle to wander at highway speeds. I remember back in the day, there were some that experienced shift flares that were addressed in a TSB and corrected with a new solenoid pack. Occasionally one hears about an engine burning oil in these vehicles, caused by seized oil control rings in the piston landings.

jtelander

Postby jtelander » Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:57 am

smj999smj wrote:Check for rust or corrosion at the bottom of the strut towers; there's a recall to address this issue. Some engines had problems with the power valve screws not getting enough thread locker at the factory, so the screws would fall down into the engine. Bushings in the rear suspension links can split with age and cause the rear of the vehicle to wander at highway speeds. I remember back in the day, there were some that experienced shift flares that were addressed in a TSB and corrected with a new solenoid pack. Occasionally one hears about an engine burning oil in these vehicles, caused by seized oil control rings in the piston landings.
Thanks for the information. I'll check for strut corrosion issues. The power valve screws falling into the engine is a concern, but is beyond my capability to examine.

Current owner says it has been very reliable...my concern is future reliability. I was hoping this would be a great deal on a low mileage (85K) vehicle.

PatsFan

Postby PatsFan » Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:26 pm

jtelander wrote:
smj999smj wrote:Check for rust or corrosion at the bottom of the strut towers; there's a recall to address this issue. Some engines had problems with the power valve screws not getting enough thread locker at the factory, so the screws would fall down into the engine. Bushings in the rear suspension links can split with age and cause the rear of the vehicle to wander at highway speeds. I remember back in the day, there were some that experienced shift flares that were addressed in a TSB and corrected with a new solenoid pack. Occasionally one hears about an engine burning oil in these vehicles, caused by seized oil control rings in the piston landings.
Thanks for the information. I'll check for strut corrosion issues. The power valve screws falling into the engine is a concern, but is beyond my capability to examine.
Current owner says it has been very reliable...my concern is future reliability. I was hoping this would be a great deal on a low mileage (85K) vehicle.
I recently bought a 2000 with 152k and I am more worried about the body than the engine.

jtelander

Postby jtelander » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:03 pm

This unit spent much of it in NY and MA...significant corrosion underneath...I decided not to buy it. Thanks to all who provided input.

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:42 pm

jtelander wrote:This unit spent much of it in NY and MA...significant corrosion underneath...I decided not to buy it. Thanks to all who provided input.
jtelander.

Hope to see you again on this board with good news about a nice Pathy :D

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”