ESP OFF, SLIP, ABS and 4WD lights on..

Anything relating to Wheels, Tires, and Brake options and upgrades...

Moderator: volvite

Bernt

ESP OFF, SLIP, ABS and 4WD lights on..

Postby Bernt » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:15 am

Hey y'all.
I know there have been a couple of similar posts here on the forum, but somehow I haven't found what I am looking for.. Hopefully I can get some help here on a fresh thread.

Maybe 5-4 months ago, the four mentioned orange lights popped up in my dash, ESPOFF, SLIP, ABS and 4WD. What happens is; When start my pathy, ESP, SLIP and ABS stays on After 1 minute the 4WD light comes on and the little illustration in the display in the dashboard that shows which drive is active, disappears, it shows 2WD before it vanish.

I took it to a Nissan shop, to get the codes. This is what I got:

C1103: Which is a faulty ABS sensor on the front right side.
C1109: Power and ground system. Which can be cause by a lot of reasons? Such as a faulty ABS control unit
C1163: Steering angle sensor safe mode: Which can be caused by a faulty ABS control unit?
P1808: Vehicle speed sensor unit. again, ABS control unit I guess.
P1814: Wait detection switch. What is this?

What I have done so far is I changed the ABS sensor on the front right side.
The mechanics did a reset on the steering wheel angle sensor.

The codes are still here. I was really hoping that when I changed the ABS sensor, the rest of the codes would just be side effects and go away. But was wrong about that. I feel like I need to change the ABS control unit, any comments? thoughts?
Do you have to manually reset the lights in the dash? Or do they disappear when everything is in order?
How do you pull out the connector that goes into the ABS control unit? I can only get the lid off, but not the entire connector.

Anyone have experienced something similar?
All help is appreciated!

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:25 am

Have they tried running the car with a known good Nissan OEM MAF?

I once had broadly similar symptoms but the car was also in limpmode.
Would happen maybe 20% of the time out driving.

Dealer could not find cause, blamed the "modifications" (it was a 350Z w/ a VQ engine aftermarket supercharged)..

Turns out it was a bad MAF..

Bernt

Postby Bernt » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:05 am

palmerwmd wrote:Have they tried running the car with a known good Nissan OEM MAF?

Dealer could not find cause, blamed the "modifications" (it was a 350Z w/ a VQ engine aftermarket supercharged)..

Maybe a stupid question, but with MAF you mean the mass air flow sensor?
Is it possible to check if this is broken?

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:14 am

Bernt wrote:
palmerwmd wrote:Have they tried running the car with a known good Nissan OEM MAF?

Yes I mean the mass air flow. I know based on the nature of your lights it seems counter intuitive... but i hd those exact same lights even to include ABS but I was in limpmode... mybe they lit up snce i was in limpmode?

Does your vehicle go into limpmode ( cannot drive over 62mph) when this happens?

The best way to check the function of the MAF is t attept to operate the car with a known good MAF..
THe MAF is expensive the install very easy should be nominal fee to install if yur shop has a MAF lying around... (this of course would generally only the case with a nissan dealer)

Its probably best to wait for SMJ to chime in.. He is our resident master tech and his advice on things like this is better than mine.

:)

Bernt

Postby Bernt » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:31 am

palmerwmd wrote:
Bernt wrote:

Yes I mean the mass air flow. I know based on the nature of your lights it seems counter intuitive... but i hd those exact same lights even to include ABS but I was in limpmode... mybe they lit up snce i was in limpmode?

Does your vehicle go into limpmode ( cannot drive over 62mph) when this happens?

The best way to check the function of the MAF is t attept to operate the car with a known good MAF..
THe MAF is expensive the install very easy should be nominal fee to install if yur shop has a MAF lying around... (this of course would generally only the case with a nissan dealer)

Its probably best to wait for SMJ to chime in.. He is our resident master tech and his advice on things like this is better than mine.

:)
'preciate the quick response chief!
My car is not in limp mode, I can go as fast as I want :wink:
a new MAF from ebay costs under 50 bucks, so its affordable. Maybe I should buy a new one, and put it in?

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:25 pm

The thing with MAFS is the car really likes the Nissan OEM.. Many, or rather most, of the ebay or even autozone MAFS are not very good..

I speak from experience.
A used MAF out of junkyard is probably better than "new" one from an autoparts store that's "like OEM".

A new one from Nissan is hundreds. so don't just throw it in w/o knowing its the cause.

But I see how at 50 bucks u are willing to experiment.

If the MAF is not the cause your preexisting OEM MAF with that many miles may still be a better math than a new ebay one.

Bernt

Postby Bernt » Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:53 am

palmerwmd wrote:The thing with MAFS is the car really likes the Nissan OEM.. Many, or rather most, of the ebay or even autozone MAFS are not very good..

I speak from experience.
A used MAF out of junkyard is probably better than "new" one from an autoparts store that's "like OEM".

A new one from Nissan is hundreds. so don't just throw it in w/o knowing its the cause.

But I see how at 50 bucks u are willing to experiment.

If the MAF is not the cause your preexisting OEM MAF with that many miles may still be a better math than a new ebay one.
Ill contact one of the junkyards here, and hear if they might have a good MAF I could try.

Someone else here have any thoughts?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:09 pm

I can see where the faulty MAS idea comes into play. When the ECM detects an engine management issue (i.e. faulty MAS), it disables the traction control system and illuminates the ABS/SLIP/VDC warning lights. However, unless there is a stored powertrain trouble code, I doubt the issue is a faulty MAS and more of an ABS issue. With so many codes triggered and re-setting of those codes after erasing them, there is a very good chance that the ABS controller, which is part of the ABS actuator assembly, is at fault. There have been a number of reported failures of the ABS controller. The bad news is that it is very expensive brand new. The good news is that they can be had for around $150 (sometimes less) from auto salvage yards. Just make sure if you go that route, get the right part number because there are a few different part numbers dependent on the specs of the vehicle (Off-road vs non-off road, automatic vs manual, etc.). As far as the wait detection switch, it screws into the transfer case and detects if the transfer case is in 4WD mode or not. The switches sometimes go bad and they usually run around $33. It's difficult to say for sure whether replacing the ABS actuator assembly will fix one or all of your problems unless one goes through the diagnostic procedures for those given codes that are given in the factory service manual for your vehicle. Without doing that, one is simply just replacing parts and gambling on the outcome.

Bernt

Postby Bernt » Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:35 pm

smj999smj wrote:I can see where the faulty MAS idea comes into play. When the ECM detects an engine management issue (i.e. faulty MAS), it disables the traction control system and illuminates the ABS/SLIP/VDC warning lights. However, unless there is a stored powertrain trouble code, I doubt the issue is a faulty MAS and more of an ABS issue. With so many codes triggered and re-setting of those codes after erasing them, there is a very good chance that the ABS controller, which is part of the ABS actuator assembly, is at fault. There have been a number of reported failures of the ABS controller. The bad news is that it is very expensive brand new. The good news is that they can be had for around $150 (sometimes less) from auto salvage yards. Just make sure if you go that route, get the right part number because there are a few different part numbers dependent on the specs of the vehicle (Off-road vs non-off road, automatic vs manual, etc.). As far as the wait detection switch, it screws into the transfer case and detects if the transfer case is in 4WD mode or not. The switches sometimes go bad and they usually run around $33. It's difficult to say for sure whether replacing the ABS actuator assembly will fix one or all of your problems unless one goes through the diagnostic procedures for those given codes that are given in the factory service manual for your vehicle. Without doing that, one is simply just replacing parts and gambling on the outcome.
Thanks a bunch for the reply!

The first thing I am going to do, is talk with the junkyard and check out if they have a ABS actuator assembly lying around that will fit my car. At the same time, I'll give the car to the local Nissan shop and hear what they think. I guess they can run a more thorough diagnostic procedure.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:12 am

If you can't find one locally, try this site:

www.car-part.com

Bernt

Postby Bernt » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:11 am

Just to be sure...

When we are talking about the ABS actuator assembly, this is the part right:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NISSAN-PATHF ... Swyupa-p24

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:30 pm

Yes, that's the ABS actuator assembly.

Bernt

Last q

Postby Bernt » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:55 am

smj999smj wrote:Yes, that's the ABS actuator assembly.
Last question.
I found one for sale. My pathy is a 08 mod, and the one for sale is a 07 mod. However, there is a difference in the partnumbers.. my number is 47660 4X00A, and the other one is 47660 3x10A. You think the other one will work?

Return to “R51 Brakes, Tires, and Wheels”