Battery drain overnite

Topics related to Lights, Radio, Stereo, Headunits, Alternators...

Moderator: volvite

Pershing115

Battery drain overnite

Postby Pershing115 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:17 pm

Hello everyone..I have a beautiful 06 le v6..after the vehicle sits for just a couple days the battery is very weak and after 3 or 4 days it's dead..this just started happening about a month ago before that it would sit for weeks at a time with no problem!!!..I've had the vehicle checked out at 3 places..altenator, battery, starter, passed with flying colors..checked the stereo multiple times and all is fine..so before going to a dealer for the $125 diagnostic I'm hoping someone can give me a clue..bad relay, ground..what??..btw the old battery checked out good also but bought a new one anyway..same thing..any ideas??..I've read about pulling the alt. fuse..radio fuse..ecm fuse..the alt is charging fine under loads..cables are tight..all switches in vehicle are off..I've seen ground straps in various places in different engine bays could this little thing cause a drain??..stumped..

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:31 pm

The broken ground straps won't cause a parasitic loss. The general spec is 50-milliamps. Anything over that when the vehicle is turned off is concidered excessive draw. The proper way to test it would be to disconnect the positive battery cable and install, inline, an ampmeter (typically with a 2-amp shunt) or a parasitic draw tester. The "poor man's" tester would be to run a 12v test light between the battery post and (disconnected) batter cable end. A fuse would be removed one at a time until the excessive draw is isolated to a particular circuit. Once the circuit is identified, the fuse is re-installed and the components on that circuit are disconnected until the source of the load is found. Having wiring diagrams is usually a must.

Pershing115

thank you sir

Postby Pershing115 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:29 am

thanks for the reply as always ur info is greatly app.,..I understand what's needed to seek out the problem..not having access to any equipment I'm going to have to bite the bullet and visit a dealer..I'm really curious as to what this problem is stemming from I'll keep ya posted..

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:13 pm

Well, you don't necessarily have to take it to a dealer to get it fixed, but you do want to have someone with a good electrical understanding to work on it.

08npf

Postby 08npf » Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:47 pm

My 08 was doing the exact same thing, my thought was to replace the ecm relay. There's other Nissan models with recalls for the ecm relay and I was thinking mine might be faulty also.

I fried my ecm when jumping my pathfinder when having this issue, after replacing it with a used one I have a misfire at idle. I'm getting a p0300, any ideas?

Pershing115

hey guys

Postby Pershing115 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:53 am

I know what you mean, I had to jump it a few times and I deff. don't want to fry my ecm, sry to hear about that..well here's an update..I think the whole problem is stemming from the stereo..i posted elsewhere that when the vehicle is OFF and the key is OUT I hear the cd player making a skipping noise very faintly when their is NO cd in it..if their's a cd IN it their's no noise at all..key out.. dead quite.. but the battery STILL drains..I took the radio fuse out but worried so much about the nav system etc. I put it back in..I've heard of the horrific $ at the dealer for stereo repairs so their's a local stereo shop I'm going to visit asap to see what they say..keep ya posted..btw should I have kept the radio fuse out for a couple days to see what happens..any problems w Nav etc. from doing that??..thanks

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Re: hey guys

Postby palmerwmd » Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:51 pm

Pershing115 wrote:I know what you mean, I had to jump it a few times and I deff. don't want to fry my ecm, sry to hear about that..well here's an update..I think the whole problem is stemming from the stereo..i posted elsewhere that when the vehicle is OFF and the key is OUT I hear the cd player making a skipping noise very faintly when their is NO cd in it..if their's a cd IN it their's no noise at all..key out.. dead quite.. but the battery STILL drains..I took the radio fuse out but worried so much about the nav system etc. I put it back in..I've heard of the horrific $ at the dealer for stereo repairs so their's a local stereo shop I'm going to visit asap to see what they say..keep ya posted..btw should I have kept the radio fuse out for a couple days to see what happens..any problems w Nav etc. from doing that??..thanks
Ive heard before about the CD changer causing a drain.
While this is no certainty in any way... talking to a quality stereo shop seems to be a good step for folks with this issue you.

08npf

Re: hey guys

Postby 08npf » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:31 pm

Pershing115 wrote:I know what you mean, I had to jump it a few times and I deff. don't want to fry my ecm, sry to hear about that..
I bought it new in 08 and it hasn't given me any problems since now, it's been an awesome car.

The ecm that I put in it is used, does anyone know if it has to be flashed? The original ecm is part number mec70-602 , the used one I bought is mec70-600. When I look up the 600 it says it's made for a 07/08 pathfinder, when I look up my original it says it is made for a 08 only. Could this cause a problem?

Return to “R51 Electrical”