lost power to both headlights

Topics related to Lights, Radio, Stereo, Headunits, Alternators...

Moderator: volvite

DrBeavis

lost power to both headlights

Postby DrBeavis » Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:09 am

2005 SE 4x4 v6
so earlier tonight both of my headlights went out, both low and high beams. they briefly came back on for a few mins only to go out again. all other lights are working just fine: both of the small front lights, front turning lights, and all rear lights. due to the holiday weekend i wont have a chance for the local shop to take a look at it (not taking it to the dealership scammers). any suggestions where i should start looking? i will check the fuses first thing tomorrow morning, though not holding my breath since the lights came back on momentarily. cant image how thats possible if the fuses blew out. next would be the relays, which makes me ask how do i tell if one is faulty? its easy when it comes to fuses, but is there some sort of device that "tests" relays? any other suggestions? thanks!

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:40 am

DrBeavis

Postby DrBeavis » Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:55 pm

didnt get a chance to run the idpm diagnostic today, but hope to do so in the next day or two. despite the age of the car, the idpm panel is only two years old. i upgraded from the original ver A to the brand new latest ver C that was available back in the late 2016.

all i had time for today was check the fuses, and everything looked good just as i anticipated. i did, however, disconnect the battery before the check, and the funnything is that the headlights (both low and high beams) came back on afterwards. is it possible that i perhaps reset something by disconnecting the battery? i will continus loking for the final solution, but cant help to wonder if this behavior does suggest the fault within the relays.

DrBeavis

Postby DrBeavis » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:40 am

well, it turned out that relays were not behind this calamity. the cause was a faulty headlight bulb connector. nevertheless, i would still like to know where the headlight relay is, but i will leave it for another thread.

Return to “R51 Electrical”