Will replacement transponder key cause lockout?

Topics related to Lights, Radio, Stereo, Headunits, Alternators...

Moderator: volvite

Dwyck99

Will replacement transponder key cause lockout?

Postby Dwyck99 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:36 pm

I need to make a copy of my 2007 PF key which is a transponder key. I do not really need the key to start the car, just open the door. Can Walmart/Home Depot/Lowes/Ace Hardware cut a simple copy of this type key? I recall going to Walmart a couple years ago and they told me they could not make a copy, but that may be because they were thinking I would want it to start the car and they could not program it? I just read somewhere that possibly stores will have certain models cars that their machines are programmed to NOT allow copies to be made... is this true or can copies be made of any key, just not actually programming the key? If they can make a simple copy to open the door, is there any circuit in the car door key slot that will recognize it as not being a properly programmed key and set off a security lockout?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:19 pm

Yes, I did this on my 2006. You don't need a chipped key to make a copy if it's not going to be used to start the vehicle and only to open the door. Most department stores that cut keys and locksmiths should have a Nissan blank that will work. It's only when you try to start a vehicle with an unchipped or unprogrammed key that it will activate the immobilizer system.

Dwyck99

Postby Dwyck99 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:38 am

Thanks brother

ZekeM

Postby ZekeM » Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:50 am

The reason some key duplicators will not make a non transponder copy of some keys, is because of liability issues. On some makes of vehicles, trying to start the vehicle a consecutive number of times with a non-transponder key, or an unprogrammed key, will lock up the immobilizer or the BCM.

That is definitely the case with any immobilizer equipped Nissan. Try it too many times, and you will lock it up. You will know you have screwed up as soon as the starter will no longer engage. The starter will still engage when attempting to start with a bad key, but once the immobilizer locks, the engine won't turn over.

This is something to be aware of, because sometimes transponders in keys go bad. If you continue to to try and start the car when a key goes bad, you compound the problem by locking the immobilizer. If your car turns over and doesn't start, look for the solid immobilizer light in the cluster or on top of the dash. If it goes solid when you turn the key on, don't attempt to start the car. You can keep turning the key on and off and see if you can get the light to go out. If you have another key, try the other key.

If you cannot get the light to go out, don't continually try to start the car. It is time to call a locksmith, or tow to the dealer.

Return to “R51 Electrical”