Cold Air Intake Experience

Anything automotive in nature, be it Nissan or one of those "other" manufacturers.

Moderator: volvite

ghall13

Cold Air Intake Experience

Postby ghall13 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:57 pm

I was starting to lose a little bit of my girls performance. I was getting a measly 16.3 mpg on the hwy and that's just no Bueno for me as I take a lot of trips back and forth between Kentucky and Alabama. That's when I found you people. This forum has provided me with a wealth of know how and I thank everyone who participates.

This is the story of how my K&N came to be!

I recently had to replace my serpentine belt at 105,000 and figured I would go ahead and replace the sparkies too since I was already under there. I had no idea what I was getting into! What I thought would be a quick 30 minutes turned into me sitting my lap top under the hood and reading up on taking the intake plenum off! But man I am glad I replaced those plugs. The pathy was back to the girl I knew in college! But still, I only saw a 3 mpg increase in hwy mileage.

I got on here and started reading about ways to increase efficiency and performance and, (sorry if you are someone who isn't fond of CAIs) after a few weeks of mauling it over and continuing to read, I settled on investing in a CAI. I picked the K&N 63-6014 series and threw it in before another long road trip. I took my girlfriend for a ride around the block and she could even tell the difference in power! My pathy had a whole new sound and a noticeable increase in giddy up. My joy would soon turn to dread as I began my trek back to bama (literally a straight shot down I-65). I saw my recently improved increase in mpg drop down to a disappointing 18.5 on the trip down running at my usual cruising speed of 80 MPH and whats worse, the check engine light came on.

I got to the job in bama and was in a terrible mood. How much was this repair going to cost me? What had I done wrong? Why did I listen to that cult on the pathfinder forum? Feeling like the last guy to drink the punch at Jim Jones birthday party I went to sleep wishing I could get my money back.

To my joy, I woke up the next morning to no check engine light. That took away a little bit of the sting but my mpg issue still weighed on my mind. All that wasted money. I was working on a large piece of land and my pathy was pulling double duty as my work wagon. My MPGs continued to drop naturally.

Then the day came to come back to Kentucky. With a feeling of dread for my bank account I set out. By the time I hit Birmingham I was at a whopping 20.9 mpg! I was stunned. I ended the 553 mile trip at 20.6 mpg and couldnt be happier with my results.

Any suggestions for my next project on the old girl?

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:10 pm

Welcome to your first post on the Nissanpath your home away from home! :D

And a good read it was too!

My suggestion for another "Mod"..This:

http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic.php?t=15828

I got this for both my Nissan SUVs.. the Xterra and the R51 Pathfinder, really improved my joy in driving them at night!
https://www.tirerack.com/lighting/detai ... nd=Philips

There IS a noticeable difference... if you do a lot of driving at nite a must.. very popular on the Xterra forums too.
This german made bulb WILL last longer than the equivalent Sylvania product.
...also consider polishing your headlight covers if they are not clear
anymore..

Return to “General Automotive”