Towing

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

TRON

Towing

Postby TRON » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:05 am

Just registered as I have been thinking of getting a Pathy. I am wanting a 2012 with the V8 as I have a camper I will be towing. Its a large pop up and it weights about 3500 but not sure if the V6 will be sufficient. We also usually have a truck bed full of gear as well. I know the V8s are hard to find and I am also wanting 4wd as well. I will be wanting to run 33s and have heard read different things about the rear suspension as to rough ride and trouble with alignment after lift kits. I would imagine I will need air bags for the rear as im sure the thing will squat pretty good with the camper and the cargo area filled with gear. I currently have a 2012 tundra with the 4.6 and dont have any issues towing. Any thoughts, suggestions, or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Also is there anything I should look out for on the 5.6 of certain years, there are many 08 V8's but have high milage.

heckler40

Postby heckler40 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:04 pm

I have towed 5-6000 lbs with the V6 and a brake controller. My 2010 is 4WD and handles it well. Note that I normally change trans fluid once a year. If you are towing all the time, make sure you are changing the fluid on an appropriate schedule.

If this is a normal towing weight range, would recommend you get Air Lift as well as upgrade the shock and springs.

Another note: I replaced all the suspension bits - front and back end links, sway bar bushings, etc. This really helps with the handling of the truck. I did not do the rear alignment as everything is froze. My tires are wearing normally and did not want to tear into it.

As for which years, just do research here and figure out the ins and outs. I would recommend a 2010 or higher but this is V6 specific. I do not have the radiator issue, no fuel pump issue (yet) and no timing chain issues.

For the rest of the items, I cannot impart any knowledge as I am running the stock LE rims and tire sizes.

Thupertrooper

Postby Thupertrooper » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:39 pm

The V8 Pathy would tow that weight easy. But you will have to upgrade the rear springs and use the airlift bags to help. The v6 is powerful enough to tow that but the transmissions are more sensitive and could cause problems. Former pathy owner I know had overheating transmission issues.

If you find a v8 its the way to go

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”