Check Engine Light: Runs Rough, Dies, Camshaft Pos. Sensor?

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

campbmic

Check Engine Light: Runs Rough, Dies, Camshaft Pos. Sensor?

Postby campbmic » Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:26 pm

Hey everyone! I have a 2006 Nissan Pathfinder the check engine light came on and it started running rough, took a few seconds to start, and began dieing randomly while driving. When it dies I have to pull over and put the car in park and restart it.

I took it to a mechanic and he replaced both Camshaft Position Sensors. A few days after getting it back the check engine light cam on and all of the symptoms came back.

Today I took it to autozone and the printed off the codes from the CEL. I have;

"Code P0345 indicates a fault in the Bank 2 Camshaft Position Sensor "A" electrical circuit for a predetermined period of time".

Like I said the garage recently replaced both camshaft position sensors and its still under warranty.

1. Do the symptoms I describe above sound like they would be caused by a bad camshaft position sensor or do you think its something else?
2. Is the code saying both sensors are bad or is it the right or left one?
3. Could there be anything else thats causing this code? Or something causing the sensor to go bad so soon?

Thank you for the help, anyone who posts! I greatly appreciate it!
Michael

dawgn86

Postby dawgn86 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:52 am

have you ever cleaned your MAF sensor?

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:13 pm

I'm thinking 2 possibilities:

-The camshaft position sensors that were put in were not OEM.. often aftermarket are of dubious quality and fail quite quickly.
I once had a "rebuilt as OEM" MAF fail within 2 days..

-It might be the MAF actually only rub is a true nissan OEM MAF is expensive... Try to "borrow" a good known used one .. Sometimes a used OEM one from junkyard is better than the off market ones from the parts stores.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:44 pm

The indicates a failure detected with the Band 2 cam position sensor or circuit. The code doesn't necessarily pinpoint the sensor as the failure, but most of the time that code is triggered, it is the sensor. As already mentioned, aftermarket sensors aren't always reliable. Genuine Nissan or Hitachi is the best way to go, but I've had good luck with Standard Motor Parts/Intermotor when in a pinch, which are made in Japan. Bank 2 would be the left side of the vehicle.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”