First R50 First Truck! SEND HELP!

Post a pic of your ride, tell us where you're from, what vehicle your Path replaced, etc etc.

Moderator: volvite

versuslight

First R50 First Truck! SEND HELP!

Postby versuslight » Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:26 pm

Hey all,

Everyone I know calls me Q. From Houston, TX, the land of oil, steaks, fast cars and big trucks.

Just bought my first R50 last night. So I don't quite have any pictures yet.

2002 3.3L RWD Auto.

Heavily considered the 4x4 option, but then came to the realization that I spend most of my life in the city and a 4x4 would end up being a bigger price tag to fix for something I wont get much use out of. Bought this truck to get away from a monthly car note and I wanted something with more space, something I can enjoy driving AND working on and most importantly... not a Hyundai.

I do have a lot of questions and ideas for this truck as I build it out.

I know I'm going to catch a lot of heat for saying this, but since its RWD and a city driven truck, I intend to lower it to make it more stable and nimble.

Spent the last couple of weeks researching known issues and I've decided to mitigate them before i get any failures.

The truck was in pretty solid condition considering its 16 years old. MINT interior.

Really, as far as maintenance goes, it only needs belts, fluids, and rear shocks/struts and probably some new brakes.

I have experience as a performance mechanic but only on supercars and track/drift cars. My knowledge on these trucks is limited to understanding the standard mechanics of it and maintenance. I dont know much other than that and the research I do.

My questions to the more knowledgable members:

1. How compatible is the E50 Elgrand coilovers for the R50 Pathy? Anyone install a set yet? Because my friends at BC Racing said they could make me a set (they no longer stock them for inventory, so each set is made by the order). I just dont want to make a $1000 gamble on a part not fitting and knowing I cant resell to anyone in the US since the Elgrand is not a USDM or North American vehicle.

2. Has anyone completely bypassed the trans/radiator cooler corrosion issue with a standalone transcooler and upgrading to a performance rad? I was talking to a rep over at Mishimoto about cross compatible (it fits, it sits) systems and doing a standalone trans cooler along with it to mitigate the possibility of corrosion and dealing with a transmission nightmare.

3. Back to suspension, are there any cross compatible trailing arms, LCAs etc? If so, what vehicles have cross compatible linkages/arms? I ask because if there is a car with parts that are compatible, I intend to talk to some friends at SPL Parts to make me some custom arms and linkages, but beefed up to handle the load.

I appreciate any advice and help offered!

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:09 am

Welcome to the Path! Your new home away from home!

I cannot answer all of your questions but I think I can help with item 2)

2) a. The transmission issues with leaking interior (to the transmission) gaskets was to my knowledge a thing with the R51s only, specifically the 05-10 model years.
This is why you will find the threads dealing with the workarounds and solutions in our R51 drivetrain section.
So I am uncertain it is known to be a big issue with the R50s
b) If you are still concerned , yes a replacement radiator is considered the best practice solution. Any quality radiator listed to fit a R50 will work to include performance rads.
Be sure to use a Nissan thermostat though (we've had lots of issues with off brand).
Changing the plumbing to run only thru the a Standalone transmission cooler , also known as a bypass, would also work if u bypass the factory rad, however at the age of the truck a new rad wouldnt hurt ,... and this is considered a secondary solution by most (mostly for those who want to avoid the cost of a new radiator)..and in any event replacing the radiator and keeping the stock plumbing diagram really is best practice for total tranny cooling. (+a little bit of pre warm in winter).
Also it sounds like supplying the labor of radiator replacement is no issue to you.

Again welcome to the NissanPath!! :D

PS: I am sure others will chime in with answers to your other questions, we love R50s !
Last edited by palmerwmd on Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

underworld1001

Postby underworld1001 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:32 pm

Hey from Austin, TX

1. The only thing I found during a search was that someone on another forum bought them and then turned around to sell them since they never put them on. The guy stated that the 'should' fit, but he was not 100% sure.

I will say that there might be a chance they'll fit ONLY because the vehicles are built in the same plant, share the same drive layout, same naming as the Pathfinder (E50, E51, E52). Not really the most solid things to go on, but it's something.

Sounds random, but these guys over in then Philippines seem to be mixing and matching parts. Last post, although old, was front X-Trail brakes and rear Pathfinder brakes on an Elgrand. Might be worth a look if you have FB. https://www.facebook.com/elgrandpilipin ... _tn__=kC-R. If that link doesn't work they're at @elgrandpilipinas on FB.

I did also cross-reference Tein USA, UK, and JP to see if any of the coilover #s would match, but none did. In case you want to look just to get an idea and in case I missed something, (regardless if you get Tein's or not), the links are below;

Japan - https://www.tein.co.jp/srch/eng_search.php
USA - https://www.tein.com/srch/us_search.php
UK - https://uk.tein.com/srch/uk_search.php

2. @palmerwmd's answer is pretty solid.

3. Here's a JPN OEM catalog so part #'s can be referenced if you need them -- https://www.nengun.com/oem/nissan/elgrand-e50.

As far as what parts will carry over, there are some;
Some Terrano (not the smaller Terrano II) parts will swap as well as the Infiniti QX4, and some Xterra. There may also be some other vehicles whose parts will fit, but it's a gamble.

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:48 pm

Underworld:

Good job answering the question! :D
I hope he read your response!

Return to “New Members, Sound Off!”