The ever popular "rear alignment" issue

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

1handle

Postby 1handle » Sun May 13, 2018 9:09 pm

We took it out this weekend, I figured, eh, stuck with the way it is, so I took it thru hwy 17 to SC and back...this thing sticks to the pavement. It's pretty damn good. Regarding the darting, it's present on some areas but only on 101, thru 17, this thing sticks, way better than OEM suspension. Wife liked it, so I'm happy with that. It seems like when loaded; full tank, picnic stuff, chairs, etc., it really hugs the turns at the highest setting. I'm pretty happy with that. So consider my complaining closed, wifey is happy, I took it thru a minor hwy torture test and it did good. I'm satisfied with the way it is.

Lost

Postby Lost » Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:39 pm

I installed the HD coils in my 2011. I've been trying to get the best alignment setup after going through all of the posts. I'm going with the SuperPro adjustable bushings, but can anyone recommend the best bolts for the rear lower arm bushings? There are tons of options for the front, but I've only seen one rear set on 4x4parts.com.

nzmikec

2" King Springs (AU) with standard 05 cam bolts

Postby nzmikec » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:53 pm

Hi All,

I recently fitted a 2" lift purchased from an Australian Ebay listing and had it shipped to NZ.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NISSAN-R51-PAT ... 2749.l2649

Install went very smoothly.

Just thought I would share the alignment results the shop got with the standard bushes and cam bolts on the 05 R51

Cheers, MikeC

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Re: 2" King Springs (AU) with standard 05 cam bolts

Postby palmerwmd » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:01 am

nzmikec wrote:Hi All,

I recently fitted a 2" lift purchased from an Australian Ebay listing and had it shipped to NZ.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NISSAN-R51-PAT ... 2749.l2649

Install went very smoothly.

Just thought I would share the alignment results the shop got with the standard bushes and cam bolts on the 05 R51

Cheers, MikeC
Mike,

thanks!!! .
Can u create a thread about it with some pics? :)

TooTallMike

Postby TooTallMike » Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:39 pm

Anyone who's installed the rear UCA eccentric bushings know if there is specific way you put them in? Like what direction the cam inside the bushing is supposed to face

Neeginan

Re: The ever popular "rear alignment" issue

Postby Neeginan » Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:32 am

I am in the process of installing these rear Rear Upper Control Arm Bushings.

I spoke at length with 4x4parts about how to install these. To be able to reduce positive camber, they should both be installed with the thinner part of the sleeve closer towards the tire. Towards the outside of the vehicle.

Seemed opposite to what I had in my head. But that is how they need to be installed.

Neeginan

Postby Neeginan » Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:03 am

Well, I am now very confused. The shop working on this for me adjusted the bushings to what I was told. To be able to reduce positive camber, they should both be installed with the thinner part of the sleeve closer towards the tire. Towards the outside of the vehicle.

It made things way worse according to the shop. Opposite effect. Now I am thoroughly confused. And the shop is recommending going this route:

https://cjdracing.com/collections/fabri ... ir-gussets

Anyone gone this route?

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:45 pm

Neenigan
sorry I got nothing. :oops:

Neeginan

Postby Neeginan » Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:40 pm

Tired of scrubbing rubber off of expensive tires. I am trying something here to add adjustability. Adding eccentric bolts at additional mounting points in the rear suspension. Like the rear spring bucket where it mounts to the knuckle.

REAR CONTROL ARMS: For the 'front' rear control arms, I will have adjustability at both subframe mounting points.
For the 'rear' rear control arm (spring bucket), I will have adjustability both at the subframe mounting point, and at the knuckle (shown in pics).

I'll let you know if it works out. If not, I will probably be too busy crying in my beer.
R51 Spring bucket.jpg
spring bucket 2.jpg
I am using these cdjracing gussets at all mounting points. For the existing front and rear lower link adjusting bolts, they will augment the amount of adjustability. I expect to end up with much more adjustability for both camber and toe.

By having adjustability at both subframe mounting points on the 'front' rear control arm, there is now some independence in adjusting the toe vs adjusting the camber. With the stock setup, only two adjustment points, adjusting toe affects camber and adjusting camber affects toe.

https://cjdracing.com/collections/nissa ... ir-gussets

silverarrow27

Postby silverarrow27 » Tue Dec 14, 2021 12:26 am

Did you not have eccentric bolts in the rear suspension before?

I was able to eyeball my rear alignment with the eccentric bushings and eccentric bolts in my rear suspension.

Neeginan

Postby Neeginan » Tue Dec 14, 2021 6:49 am

Yes, I have the four (2 per side) that come from the factory. Problem is that the adjustability is greatly limited, and you quickly find yourself in the situation where you can't adjust camber without affecting toe and vice versa, because the 'front' rear control arm only has adjustability at one of the two points where it connects to the subframe. Therefore, it starts to pivot around the other fixed mounting point. That, and at all adjustment points, the adjustability is limited.

Here is a diagram. I had eccentric bolts at the factory rear alignment adjustment points indicated in red in this diagram. I am adding eccentric bolts at the points indicated in green. Plus, the amount of adjustability is being increased.
R51 Pathfinder Eccentric Bolts.png

Neeginan

Postby Neeginan » Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:07 am

By the way, there is some grinding and welding required. I am using these at the mounting points where eccentric bolts are being used.
Bolt Hole Repair Gussets.jpg

silverarrow27

Postby silverarrow27 » Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:47 pm

Ah, got you. Surprising how the rear alignment issue seems to vary from vehicle to vehicle in the R51. My next solution would have been those CJD Racing gussets as well if the eccentric bushings didn't help. Hope those gussets work out for you. I'm interested in knowing as well.

Neeginan

Postby Neeginan » Mon Jan 03, 2022 11:26 am

It worked.
Attachments
Rear Alignment R51 Pathfinder.jpg

silverarrow27

Postby silverarrow27 » Tue Jan 04, 2022 1:03 am

Very nice, thanks for the update! In the future, I'd recommend those gussets as the primary solution and the bushings to be secondary.

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”