Throttle Body Spacer??

Anything automotive in nature, be it Nissan or one of those "other" manufacturers.

Moderator: volvite

ghall13

Throttle Body Spacer??

Postby ghall13 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:32 pm

I have searched and searched on here for something on this topic. There are lot of blogs both negative and positive and, from what I gather, it depends on the vehicle. Has anyone added a throttle body spacer to their R51? Specifically the 2012? I have a CAI and love it but I am looking to increase HP for towing and, well, just plain ol' fun when driving.

Additionally, has anyone upgraded their intake manifold and throttle body? Was there a major difference in performance?

I'd love any info I can get on this.

underworld1001

Postby underworld1001 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:42 pm

Don't waste your money. At least that's what I always hear. To be honest I don't have much experience with them as the only vehicle I've had one on was an old 91 Chevy C1500 with a crap 305. It "seemed" to make a slight difference on that application, but that was on a TBI (throttle body injection) setup which had horrible breathing problems from the factory.

On a newer EFI setup, I don't see how a TB spacer would benefit. I would imagine if you're making the runner a bit longer you'd get some increase in low end TQ, but again, this is just a guess. I would think that the computer would adjust appropriately if one is added, but personally the difference is negligible at the TB side.

I would highly suggest you get the XTP intake manifold spacer instead. Granted the price for a TB space and the manifold spacer wouldn't be the same, but the benefit would be better. I have one on my truck and I love the thing.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:09 pm

Throttle body spacers are worthless on engines with multi-port fuel injection. The XTP plenum spacer will make a noticeable difference. If you're looking for towing improvement, consider a tuner with a Tow setting.

ghall13

Thanks!

Postby ghall13 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:25 am

Thanks for the help! I will certainly look into the IM Spacer and see what its all about. I have looked at some chips but I cant seem to get over some of the negative reviews associated with them. Do you have a recommendation for a chip that does what it advertises?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:04 am

Most of the chips are worthless and only attempt to trick the ECM by sending a false signal from the intake air temp sensor. You'll want to invest in a programmer/tuner if you want any significant changes.

If you are looking to make more upgrades and/or want something that is specifically tuned to your vehicle, UpRev is the best way to go:

https://uprev.com/secure/

If you just want a simple tuner that'll give you some options and won't be too expensive and will work with your vehicle, but not a custom tuned programmer, like UpRev, look into the Bully Dog GT Platinum tuner:

https://www.autoanything.com/performanc ... g-gt-tuner

The XTP plenum spacer works well:

https://extremetruckperformance.com/

Return to “General Automotive”