Timing Chain Replacement

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

ghall13

Timing Chain Replacement

Postby ghall13 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:24 am

Per my owners manual I am approaching the time where I may need to change my timing chains. As this interval approaches I have a few questions;

1) The manual says to replace at 120,000 miles. Should I heed this suggestion and replace @ 120,000?

2) Is there some signs I should be looking/listening out for that would indicate the need to undertake this?

3) I am pretty handy but don't by any means consider myself a master mechanic. Is this a task I can take on in my garage with the proper tools and a good set of instructions or should I leave it to a certified master mechanic?

4) If I do decide to undertake this myself I have read it would be wise to go ahead and replace the water pump. Is there anything else that should be replaced while I have the thing apart?

5) Where is the best place to buy a "kit" for the timing chain?/ What "kit" should I go with?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can offer input?

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:29 am

-What year is your engine/vehicle?
This is important.

-Timing chains rarely need replacing at 120,000 miles.

-I am at 130,000 on both my 2012 Pathfinder and my 2011 Xterra (exact same powertrain as R51 generation Pathfinder) and I wont even think about it.

-For some models yrs however a worn machine during production has miscut some parts and this has caused issues with the timing chain guides and pre 2010 model years are suspect but will usually warn the owner for a long time with a "whine" before problems occur.

-Also I hear the timing chain job is no joke ...But non professionals have done it.. ... timing chain kits are available and those include screws gaskets for front cover new guides etc. There is a kit posted somewhere on this site.

- For myself I might consider it at 180,000-190,000 miles or so .. and then pay someone to do it and have the water pump done as well.... not having a garage or a good tool collection.......... having been in the nissan community for many years the timing chains themsleves very rarely, if ever, break (timing chain guides on the other hand is a different story... depending on engine and model year examples with known weak guides are early R51 pathfinders, frontiers and Xterras and 90-92 Infiniti Q45s)
Last edited by palmerwmd on Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

ghall13

Thanks!

Postby ghall13 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:30 am

Its a 2012 silver edition with the 4.0 in it.

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Re: Thanks!

Postby palmerwmd » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:51 am

ghall13 wrote:Its a 2012 silver edition with the 4.0 in it.
Oh, yes its in your signature... I missed that before.
your model year is not at risk for the "chain whine".

I applaud your proactive approach to maintenance... but for a 2012 at 120k there is no need.
For a fraction of the effort you could change all fluids and gain greater benefit.

Happy New Year!!
:D

Gottcha86

Postby Gottcha86 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:29 pm

Helped my buddy do mine 2006 and it is a huge amount of work. Good thing he is a nissan mechanic.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Re: Timing Chain Replacement

Postby smj999smj » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:16 am

ghall13 wrote:Per my owners manual I am approaching the time where I may need to change my timing chains. As this interval approaches I have a few questions;

1) The manual says to replace at 120,000 miles. Should I heed this suggestion and replace @ 120,000?

2) Is there some signs I should be looking/listening out for that would indicate the need to undertake this?

3) I am pretty handy but don't by any means consider myself a master mechanic. Is this a task I can take on in my garage with the proper tools and a good set of instructions or should I leave it to a certified master mechanic?

4) If I do decide to undertake this myself I have read it would be wise to go ahead and replace the water pump. Is there anything else that should be replaced while I have the thing apart?

5) Where is the best place to buy a "kit" for the timing chain?/ What "kit" should I go with?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can offer input?
I'm curious about this one. Exactly where in the 2012 owner's manual does it say to replace the timing chains at 120,000 miles? And is it the "owner's manual" or the "scheduled maintenance manual" that we are referring? Page # would be helpful!

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”