Suspension sits weird 97 pathfinder

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

Mariehasaface

Suspension sits weird 97 pathfinder

Postby Mariehasaface » Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:49 am

I bought a 97 pathfinder SE 4x4 about a week ago, I’ve been fixing some issues while figuring out what else it has going on. It’s at almost 200k miles.
It was involved in a crash with no story(previous owner got it that way) but the damage is all front passenger side and looks purely cosmetic.

When driving, it has the well known rear end death wobble, but I already know what that’s coming from.
The drivers side sits lower in the back AND front. Back is 1 full inch lower than passenger side, front is 3/4 inch lower than passenger side.
And it has a front end wobble that comes with some beautiful clanking sounds.

I’m not 100% on suspension but what I’ve done so far is check visually.
Everything seems perfectly fine up front other than the control arm bushings being almost non existent and ball joints being absolute shit. But I ordered the new parts for that already. Rear, haven’t looked at upper but lower arm on drivers side is horribly bent from abuse by previous owner. (Again I’m not 100% on suspension, so I’m not sure how to check the struts or springs)

Since I have to wait a week for the parts, I’m wondering if anyone can tell me if there’s something else i should check that could be causing the lean in front and back. Or could the control arm bushings and ball joint be causing that up front and control arm in the rear?

Before anyone says it, all wheels and tires are identical and inflated to the same pressure, front end has leveling kit, identical on both sides. And it’s parked on a level surface.

Any help would be useful, as long as there’s a way to test it before replacing parts.

Also, how could I check if a previous owner did a torsion bar lift? I don’t plan on doing it but if someone has I want to return it to where it should be. Unfortunately the last guy didn’t even know it had the leveling kit and knows enough about cars to believe a mechanic who told him the clanking it makes was normal so he is not a source of information.

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:00 am

Even for some of our master techs on here (which I am not) diagnosing something like this over the internet is very difficult.

Could take a bunch of hi res pics of the under carriage and post them (via upload to a host like imgur and then a link)?

PS: Welcome to the Path!!

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”