Remote Start

Oh yeah, it's the geek bling with flashing lights, just can't get enough.

Moderator: volvite

amr40509

Remote Start

Postby amr40509 » Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:58 am

Ok -- here's the deal. I have a rental car right now while the wife's car is in the shop and she is driving my Pathfinder (bought her a new Rogue and it got hit, while parked, 5 days later...still on it's first tank of gas), it's a '07 Jeep GC w/ the 4.7LV8 and all options.

The remote start is pretty cool, and I want it for my Pathfinder. Soon it'll be cold here in Kentucky and my office overlooks the parking lot...so I could come out to a warm car. In the summer it is super hot here...so I could come out to a cool car.

Anyone know anything about these or have any tips, I've never looked into them.

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:15 pm

Hopefully someone here can debunk my opinion, but all the aftermarket stuff I've seen required you to have a key programmed (I think Nissan uses VATS if I remember correctly) for your vehicle mounted somewhere close to the ignition cylinder. This allows that portion of the security system to be disabled so the remote start works.

To me that is a really crappy work around. Granted the key doesn't have to be cut to fit the ignition but your removing one layer of security if this is indeed still the only way to do it.

amr40509

Postby amr40509 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:53 am

I'll try to do some digging on that. From what little I had time to read on the web yesterday it sounded like 'bad' shops did that, but the guy's that really understood how to do the installs had a work around for it. It wasn't Pathfinder specific, the info I read was about a '05 Altima, so I'm still working on getting a firm answer.

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:02 am

Definitely post up what you find. I looked into it then when I couldn't find a satisfactory answer I let it fall to the back burner in hopes that a good answer would become more prevalent.

Fofiddy

Postby Fofiddy » Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:40 am

anyone find out about this yet, it's cold out. My aftermarket heated seat insets help quite a bit, but a starter would be ideal. Been holding off because of cost and security issues (or lack of answers on them) .

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:04 am

Not exactly an answer but good info on wiring one up:

http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/for ... ~TID~86988

Otherwise I can still find no good info on how to safely bypass the system.

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:05 am

Some follow up info, I needed to help a friend figure out how to bypass the key requirement on his 02 pathy and in doing so I found some solutions for us with approximate prices listed:

$19 CompuTrans v.2 from CompuStar
http://www.compustar.com/products/remote_acc.htm
Not 100% on this actually working as this company is ridiculous to get info from. The CompuTrans is definitely needed to bypass the starting security system but not sure if it is applicable to our years. On top of that this system requires a key to be physically present as far as I can tell so now you're looking at another minimum of like $100 just for a key that you should really cut the shank from? And you have successfully completely disabled that portion of the security system. Beat if you ask me.

$53-90 XK07 from bypasskit.com (price depends on vendor)
http://www.bypasskit.com/product.aspx?prodid=XK07
Looks like a solid piece of equipment. Bypasses the security requirement for the chipped key when remote starting by sitting inline with the system. You "program" the box one time with a good working key and the box stores the signals. Then when it gets the remote start signal it feeds that info to the security system and bingo, you're in. No need for a key to be statically mounted inside. Seems as good as it will get.

$92 msrp DLSL CA & DLSL CA2 from idatalink.com
http://idatalink.com/product/result_pag ... carid=4416
I haven't figured out exactly what the difference is in the two models above but same as the XK07. Programmed by a key once, then done. Slips in mid-stream of the system and passes the key's security info to the vehicle.

The idatalink and bypasskit modules seem to be the same if not extremely similiar. Have a nutt with the info.

De3JaY

Postby De3JaY » Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:28 pm

This thread is a year old but for those that are thinking about getting a remote start can read. I installed a remote start in my car and it does require a immobilizer bypass. I have a Viper 791XV two way alarm and the bypass is a 556uw. A key has to be put into the 556uw or at least the chip inside the key. I took the chip out of the key and put it in the 556uw. When the remote start is activated the 556uw send the signal to the immobilizer system to be able to start the car. The 556uw does not always send a signal to the immobilizer system. So the thief has to find the 556uw and take out the chip and put it near the ignition to start it or find the wires to activate the 556uw. Alarms also have a starter kill that prevents the car from starting when the alarm is set off. I hid the 556uw away from the ignition and a theif will have a hard time finding it. But if a thief really wants the car they can take it but it will take them awhile to get it started. I don't anybody wants to spend that much time trying to steal the car. Also if they really want the car they can just tow it away..

BryanCelyn

XK07

Postby BryanCelyn » Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:00 am

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-lKa7zGjerP ... KIT&tp=157

The XK07 does not require a key. It wires directly into the data bus. Google "ResponderLE".

Bryan

whtacc949

Remote Start

Postby whtacc949 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:31 pm

Hello Everyone, I am new to this board but a Nissan freak. Owned many many Nissans.

I have an 06 Path SE. I have the AudioVox brand remote starter. It uses the factory remote. You only have to press, Lock-Unlock-Lock and it starts. You will need to give up a key for the transponder box to be installed.

Key can be hidden and if they hit the brake to shift gears without the key in ignition, it shuts off. Had it in for 2 years and absolutely love it.

Captain
Sponsored Member

Postby Captain » Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:57 am

About taking a level of security down for the remote start. I have a saying about this you might like.

Locking and alarming your car, just keeps a honest man out. If the asshole wants to get break in or steal your car HE WILL no mater what security you have.

My buddy had a 99 Ford Mustang fully decked out. He put over 10g into the car with engine/audio/security add-ons. We parked the car and not even 4 min later his sister came home and asked WHERES your car???
Cops never found it.

Fofiddy

Postby Fofiddy » Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:30 am

That's exactly why I'm a huge advocate of dogs. Relatively low upkeep and maintenance (as long as you don't mind fur) and you never have anyone surprising you on a "surprise visit".
After that it should be up to you to ensure what is yours stays that way. I'm not endorsing firearms but if your particularly attached to something it's your responsibility to keep it yours. I'm particularly attached to my canine companions so I won't be letting them have all the fun per se.
Then again my environment allows a little more creativity than say an urban setting...
I know, I know, topic drift, just my $.02.

Return to “NAV/GPS/Audio/Electronics”