Battery drain overnite

Anything automotive in nature, be it Nissan or one of those "other" manufacturers.

Moderator: volvite

Pershing115

Battery drain overnite

Postby Pershing115 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:57 am

Seen a few post on here after having my own problem with a dead battery in the am..I have an 06 pathy LE w 107k w the 4.0 v6...after I jumped it the 1st time I went straight to Mavis Tire center to have the battery checked and everything was above good..battery, alt..starter..diodes etc..so I thought maybe a glitch since I don't drive it that much..well it started fine for a few days then batt died 3 more times..the battery is prob 4 yrs old at this time...had everything checked again and all was great so I thought once the battery was charged from driving maybe something was masked..well I bought a new battery, Exide.. prob misspelled..my suv is running good..BUT guess what I found after sitting in it for a bit after I shut her down..the cd in the stereo was making like a skipping noise..after the key was out!..I havn't used the cd in prob 2 years and the noise was so low I had to sit in dead quite to hear it..I was shocked..soo I put some cds in cranked it up for awhile..ejected, loaded, ejected, loaded to get everything working again and it seemed to shut down fine..I know about letting things sit for long periods and this was one of them..hope this helps somewhere!.paid 130 battery installed btw..

Graham W

Postby Graham W » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:45 am

Could it be the amps of the battery?

Not all tyre places test the system under load.

Grandad has a BMW 325. Went flat a few times and he took it to Halfords and they tested it. I put a multimeter on and the alternator showed 14v

But despite it looking ok, eventually i swapped it out for new for him and all has been fine since.

Could your CD player be a red herring or its not got enough amps to shut down correctly? Id be tempted to take the audio fused out and see what happens to the battery?

Pershing115

thanks Graham

Postby Pershing115 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:40 am

well I've read on here I should actually drive a few hours then test the batt but I didn't have the time and they did test under load..never had a problem with the stock audio system but from sitting for such a long time I fig it needed to get some use..I've used it several times and all seems well..knok on wood..fig it was a combo of both batt was getting old and lack of use etc..I'll keep ya posted

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:36 pm

I heard` a story about a R51 where somehow the radio stayed on due to a bad "on" buttong and the guy never figured it out and for years had to disconnect his battery.

Until finally his toddler bumped or kicked the Button "just so" and all was fixed.

Pershing115

bad radio button

Postby Pershing115 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:01 am

good afternoon and thanks for the reply..as I stated elsewhere thank you for your input on here greatly app..I liked your post on spark plugs awhile back..all the part #'s and info were deff. a good read..your background as a Nissan tech is a big help to all...as far as the guy who unplugged his battery for a year or so all I can say is wholy crap I think I would pulled the radio first lol..I believe my cd player was trying to eject or load from the sound so I let it do it's thing a dozen times and hopefully that loosened everything up..i hadn't used it for prob. a year and a half so it mite of been alittle sticky..I'm crossing my fingers..had a beautiful Grand National in a diff. life that I put a GNX body kit on.. ran 11.4 quarters.. I had put a H.O. stock looking sound system in it boy it sounded good and nobody could tell from looking..have a good one

TheHawk!

Postby TheHawk! » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:42 am

you need to buy a cheap digital volt ohm meter that reads amps and put the meter in line between the negative cable and neg batt terminal, lock doors and let truck sit for 30 MINUTES then take note of how many amp draw you have. SHOULD BE SOMEWHERE AROUND 50 MILLI AMP MAX (more likely 15-20 after all control modules go to sleep) if considerably higher the radio or something is staying on. pull the fuses one at a time until the reading drops and chase all the items on that circuit! HAVE FUN! lol

Rosetta342

Re: Automotive photos

Postby Rosetta342 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:12 am

Good one, I have the same issue with my car battery and I didn’t understand why it happens because I put new battery recently. But after reading this article I realized the thing which I left behind and that’s the reason behind the drainage of battery overnight and this https://motorcyclehelmetcenter.net/best-motorcycle-battery-reviews/ site help me a lot to find out good info. So thank you very much for writing this article in order help people like me who have this issue. :lol:

BrandenBier

Postby BrandenBier » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:52 am

Most vehicles draw some battery current when the key is off, thanks to the clock and the internal memory of engine computers, body-control modules, and radio presets. Altogether, https://arynews.tv/en/pakistan-flag-his ... ame-to-be/ they draw a very small amount of current. Fifty milliamps would be a safe upper limit for this, though many vehicles will draw less. If you're not sure, look up the correct rating in the service manual

Return to “General Automotive”