3.5L Burning a lot of oil

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

wwm2889

3.5L Burning a lot of oil

Postby wwm2889 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:19 am

Hi folks,

Bear with me as my knowledge is limited. I own a 2004 3.5L 4wd R50 with 160k miles on it. Got it when it was 118K miles and I've changed the oil regularly. MY issue is that the thing burns a lot of oil. I'd say a quart every two weeks and that's with conservative driving. It's done that since I've owned it. Engine feels strong though and there's no plume of blue smoke out the tail pipe?

Is there anything I can do about it or do I have a worn engine?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:33 pm

You can make sure the oil is diluted with gas and make sure the PCV system is working properly. If that checks out okay, the most likely cause is that the oil control rings are stuck in the piston landings, which would require tearing down the engine, honing the cylinders and replacing the piston rings (or, replace the engine). If you continue to drive as is, eventually the upstream catalytic converters will get clogged.

wwm2889

Postby wwm2889 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:24 pm

smj999smj wrote:You can make sure the oil is diluted with gas and make sure the PCV system is working properly. If that checks out okay, the most likely cause is that the oil control rings are stuck in the piston landings, which would require tearing down the engine, honing the cylinders and replacing the piston rings (or, replace the engine). If you continue to drive as is, eventually the upstream catalytic converters will get clogged.
Well... I've already had replaced one of the upstream catalytic converters. The truck's too rusty to justify a new engine (New England, heavy salt). Could I get away with leaving it as it is or am I destined for problems? Just trying to figure how much money I should keep putting in this thing.

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:51 pm

Could still be the PCV system like smj said..

Otherwise I know folks who when on a budget just went to thicker oil to minimize burning.

wwm2889

Postby wwm2889 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:34 pm

palmerwmd wrote:Could still be the PCV system like smj said..

Otherwise I know folks who when on a budget just went to thicker oil to minimize burning.
Worth checking but I think the PCV valve on the VG35DE is going to be a pain to get at. I have to remove the intake manifold and it looks like its three parts.

What do we mean by oil diluted with gas?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:10 am

wwm2889 wrote:
palmerwmd wrote:Could still be the PCV system like smj said..

Worth checking but I think the PCV valve on the VG35DE is going to be a pain to get at. I have to remove the intake manifold and it looks like its three parts.

What do we mean by oil diluted with gas?
If there was a condition such as a leaking fuel pressure regulator diaphragm or leaking injector that was causing gas to contaminate and dilute the engine oil, it would cause oil burning. So, it's worth checking the dipstick for the odor of gasoline and/or an overfilled crankcase.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”