Change out factory stereo

Topics related to Lights, Radio, Stereo, Headunits, Alternators...

Moderator: volvite

Mball

Change out factory stereo

Postby Mball » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:47 pm

Hi, I have a 2007 pathfinder with a non-bose with navigation ( see picture)

Im planning to change out speakers and add a sub to this car, and my question is how can i add amplifier(s) to the factory head unit?

Is it possible to do anythig to the factory unit, or do i need to replace everything?

I have no problem to run new wires, add amplier, sub etc, but i wonder how i can hook that up to the headunit i have now...

Anyone thats done the same with this headunit?

MarkSheriff

Postby MarkSheriff » Mon May 01, 2017 4:08 pm

its always best to change the head unit so that you get the fullest & cleanest signal going out to your amps and then speakers. factory radios are tuned to match the factory speakers so they play certain frequencies and certain wattage.

so you can change the radio for best results or use an audio control lc6i to pull signal from any factory radio in any car
http://www.audiocontrol.com/car-audio/f ... rade/lc6i/

i changed the whole audio system in my pathy, if you need any help just ask

Tusk

Postby Tusk » Wed May 03, 2017 10:40 am

You can use the factory head unit as long as you get a decent LOC as mentioned. There are MANY options out there. Just want it for adding a sub?

Mball

Postby Mball » Wed May 31, 2017 12:09 pm

I would like to add sub and to change out the factory speakers as well

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed May 31, 2017 9:55 pm

Get in touch with the folks at Crutchfield.com.

kennynnek

Postby kennynnek » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:57 pm

ive added a sub and amp to mine by just cutting into the radio wires behind the head unit and putting in a spkr wire to RCA converter ($20 or somethin) then just wired up the amp like normal after that, also upgraded my front speakers and with the stock head unit it sounds fine, goodluck :-)

ranosgood

Replace Factory Stereo

Postby ranosgood » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:10 am

I replaced my entire system and used the factory wiring...per recommendation from Crutchfield. The other posts are correct in stating that factory head units limit the frequency output to accommodate inferior speakers. You will understand this fully when you do a complete replacement and will be happy that you did. Now, if my pathy had the factory GPS unit I probably would have kept the head unit and gone with a sound processor instead. A sound processor strips out the factory system and supplies outputs to your amp at all ranges.

Since I did not have the factory GPS I replaced my head unit with an Alpine GPS unit, installed an alpine reference amp in the factory location, new Alpine reference components in the factory locations, and bypassed the factory subwoofer and installed a 10" standalone. The sound quality is impressive over the old Bose system.

Once you decide what to do feel free to ask for additional help.

freerider

Postby freerider » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:40 pm

Hi guys I have also issue with my base factory stereo it sounds like crap if I compare with my old 2003 xterra with oem rockford audio its really bad.I have 2010 pathfinder - integrated stereo with separate LCD .I already changed rear speakers looking for new speakers for front doors .As original speakers are just 2 Ohms there is not many power coming from oem radio .Is there any way how to add Amplifier to factory stereo as I need get more power for new 4 Ohm speakers also looking to add subwoofer in future ?? Any pictures or wiring diagram from head unit will help

freerider

Postby freerider » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:43 pm

Solved - with aftermarket under seat 8 subwoofer with build in amp. Stock speakers in front rockford speakers in rear doors. Just hookup power for sub ,both rear speakers connectons soldered from B pillar ,grouding also in B pillar. "Power on wire" from ign wire for accs. plug. Its completly hidden under seat sounds lot better now . Also connected small 10$ bluetooth on ign power and to aux .

Return to “R51 Electrical”