Lights on- ABS. VDC off and SLIP

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

BullDozer

Lights on- ABS. VDC off and SLIP

Postby BullDozer » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:59 am

Just got all three of these lights upon first starting the car few days back

The day before. Was lots of snow so I was using 4wd and turning on off the VDC

Also two days before hear slight squealing on right front side breaks. But new pads rotors and calipers few months ago

During day of heavy snow, i switched often between 4x4 and 4x2. About 10 times in 10 miles. Maybe bad? I used 4x4 to get unstuck then 5 sec later switched to 4x2. I did this often. Is this bad for car?

I have topped off brake fluid, drove over 50 miles light sit over night. Still lights on

Any advice. I need 4x4 back for next week :-). And also nice to ABS[/list]

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:03 am

Well, if you have enough snow that you had to switch back and forth between two and four wheel drive ten times in ten miles, you would have just as well left it in 4-Hi and left it alone. However, to say it did damage might be a stretch. There are a number of things that can cause the VDC/Slip/ABS warning lights to illuminate, including a powertrain management issue, which in fail-safe would disable the traction control system and illuminate those same warning lights. Since you heard a squeak at the wheel, you may want to check for any play in the wheel bearing, because that could set off those lights. Other than that, the best thing to do is to get the trouble codes scanned for both the powertrain and the ABS systems. A generic OBD II code reader can scan for any powertrain related codes (P-codes), but a capable scan tool will be required to read ABS codes (C-codes). Once you have the code(s), you will have a direction to begin your diagnosis to the problem.

BullDozer

Postby BullDozer » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:07 am

Thanks SMJ

Is there any quick fix incase I cant get into mechanic shop. I have simple scanner. Shows nothing. However. Expecting up to 10 inches Snow Monday, so any possible resets for now?

I can try disconnecting the battery.

Anything to quickly visually look for under the truck?

BullDozer

Postby BullDozer » Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:53 pm

Results from Mechanic scanner:
ABS system....
C1109 - battery system. Voltage out of range
C1103 - Right Front Wheel Sensor Circuit Open/short

So-
Need new Abs Sensor?

Mechanic was also saying it could be wheel bearing?

Is the front wheel sensor and Abs Sensor same thing?

BullDozer

Postby BullDozer » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:57 am

Lights gone. Got the hub and wheel bearing which came with ABS sensor delivered for just $59.99 from Detroit axle

Not sure on how good the quality. I later saw rockauto with Moog for around $125 + shipping. Autozone has same Moog for double the price

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:17 pm

At that price its hard to go wrong especially if you either install yourself or have a hookup for installs.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”