Cranks But Won't Start - VVT Solenoid?

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

campbmic

Cranks But Won't Start - VVT Solenoid?

Postby campbmic » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:32 pm

Hey everyone! My dad has a 2008 Nissan Pathfinder V6 with 140k miles.

In the past 6 months he's had the camshaft and crankshaft positioning sensors replaced twice. This week the CEL came on again and the truck was ideling rough. I took it to autozone and they suggested replacing the coils because of these codes;

P0300: Random Misfire Detected

P0300: Random Misfire Detected

P0021 Intake Camshaft Position Timing - Over-Advanced (Bank 2)

I did some research yesterday when I got home and found some suggestions that it could be an issue with the VVT solenoid. I disconnected the battery, unplugged the VVT and cleaned it with air. I reconnected the battery and drove it around some.

I got back home and unplugged the VVT again, I turned the key to accessories and tried to get a reading on the VVT plug with my multimeter. I reconnected the battery and the truck would not start. It turns over and over but won't start.

Today I took off a spark plug wire from the drivers side, then grounded a spark plug against the engine block. When I tried to start the truck I get no spark from the wire. I tried this with another spark plug wire from the passenger side and again no spark.

I don't really understand why its not starting. If I somehow damaged the VVT the second time I disconnected it, could that prevent the plugs from firing? I'd like to put my multimeter on a spark plug wire to see if there is any firing going on, any idea what I should set the multimeter to?

Thanks for any help or advice! If I somehow damaged the VVT solenoid on the drivers side could that prevent the plugs from firing? I think there is also one on the passenger side, so I assume at least some of the plugs would fire.

Lastly, with the key in the "on" position I get the red vehicle immobilizer light (red car with key in the middle). Not sure if this is usually on when the key is in that position.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:34 am

The immobilizer light should go off. If it's still on while you are cranking the engine, there is a problem and the immobilizer system will disable the fuel pump. You would need a capable scan tool to access the codes.
Did you replace the cam and crank sensors with aftermarket parts? If so, they could have failed and is the reason behind your no start. Stick with genuine Nissan, Hitachi or NTK sensors.

campbmic

Postby campbmic » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:18 pm

FIXED: Turned out I blew the EGI fuse (20AMP under hood). Not sure why that fuse turned on the Immobilizer light/system. Hopefully this can help someone in the future! Thank you for the replies and help!

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”