JBA or Doug Throley LT headers - where to buy?

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

Zen_master

JBA or Doug Throley LT headers - where to buy?

Postby Zen_master » Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:12 pm

Looking to pull the trigger on long throw headers for a 2011 V8 R51. Curious if anyone can suggest whether to go with JBA or Doug Thorley and where to purchase. Thanks

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:24 pm

To my knowledge, Doug Thorley doesn't make headers for the V8 Pathfinders, only the 4.0L-V6. JBA doesn't list them, either, for the V8 Pathfinder, but I believe I read a post where someone was able to use a set of long tubes designed for the Titan V8; they may have been JBA?

Zen_master

Postby Zen_master » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:31 am

You're right, SMJ - Member Forgottenzone used the JBA headers as described in the thread below. The way I see it there's bound to be custom fabrication in any application on such a rare bird as the V8 Pathy. My plan is to have a custom exhaust installed the same time I put on the headers. If I can get close with a pair intended for the Titan that should be good enough. Just wondering if any members on here have gone down this route and can recommend the least costly retailer to purchase the headers from. Thanks

http://thenissanpath.com/viewtopic.php?t=9881&start=15

miles5.6

v8 JBA Long Tubes

Postby miles5.6 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:56 pm

Zen Master: thought I'd reply and give a big thanks to theNissanPath and namely Forgottenzone for the confidence this can be done. After driving with the dreaded "tick" shortly after I purchased used in 2015 at 88k miles, barely passing in 2016 (Virginia emissions is every 2 years), 2018 inspection found both manifolds cracked and a failed catalytic converter on the passenger side throwing a CEL. It was either replace both sides stock or have some fun and invest a bit more $$$ to sure it up for the life of the vehicle.

After doing some due diligence, scouring the net and making some calls, I am happy to report so far so good after 1200 miles.

Here's what I did:

UpRev Tuner: started here because you'll need to tune the correct Air/Fuel ratio if the below work is performed. emailed Joe directly at [email protected]
-he and his staff are going to ask you for the ECU part # of your vehicle to ensure their software can indeed communicate with your vehicle. I had to call my local Nissan dealership and provide my VIN, they read off the part #, then confirmed with Joe.

JBA 4600's from Summit Racing https://www.summitracing.com/parts/jba-6400s
-first place I bought them was Amazon, but I sent them back because one of the sensor hole threads had extra welding so I didn't want to chance it...Summit offered free one day shipping at the time.

OEM Gaskets from Amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BF ... UTF8&psc=1
-read several places to use the OEM vs. the gaskets that come with the headers
-also bought the OEM gaskets for the JBA to bpipe connection on Amazon

Cajun B-Pipes from Jeff Nash at www.cajunbpipes.com
-I went with the Heavy Metal Cats for extra insurance it would pass emissions and keep the CEL off--since going with this mod does eliminate 2 of 4 cats.

Install: this is probably the most critical and costly piece. I shopped around a bit and spoke to a few shops in person explaining what I wanted to do. Went with a local Meineke because the guys were eager and had done similar jobs before. They were upfront and said the biggest risk was twisting off a manifold bolt in the block which could add some costly time to the process, so they wanted to soak in PBR. Luckily, all the bolts came out smoothly on an engine that has 140k. Docked me 13 hours of labor, which I think is reasonable.

Muffler: struggled with this one a bit but finally went with the Borla 40348 Pro XS from Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0018 ... UTF8&psc=1
-knew Meineke could twist some pipe, so they ran piping from the bpipes to the dual inlet/single outlet Borla. If you go with a ypipe (like that found on Cajunbpipes website) your options would be many.

Finally added the Airaid QuickFit intake. It's made for the Titan and Armada. It's the box and filter version only.

Joe from Uprev sent me a base tune, as well as detailed instructions on how to run the software on the laptop. I have yet to perform 0-60 runs and record those data logs. Once I do, I'll send the logs to him, he'll examine, and send me back a custom tune. Looking forward to doing that in the next few days.

Performance: Seems like it really pulls in the higher RPMs. 60 to 85 on the highway really takes off. Curious how further tuning may effect whole powerband.

Sound: Much louder than stock, but not obnoxious. I'll upload some clips once it stops raining here in VA.

Hope this helps! Happy to answer any questions anyone may have!

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:56 am

How awesome is that!!

This might be worth posting a seperate thread on especially if you can post pics :D

PS: Welcome to the Path!!!!

Zen_master

Postby Zen_master » Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:05 pm

Thanks a ton, Miles. Great info.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”